VMware Networking Community
gabicava83
Contributor
Contributor

Warm File Servers > Migration

Hi there,

I have gone through the search but cannot find the answer I am looking for.

We are migrating some of our workloads from on-premises to our AWS SDDC.

Please note the information below has been simplified.

As well as the typical stuff we need to migrate, I have around 55TB's of data, which are on Windows File Servers. 

What I would like to do is;

1. Pre-seed the Windows File Server VM's from on-premises to VMC. (users are still using the data on these servers in production)
  2. Any changes on-premises at block level, to be copied over to said servers on VMC. (users will still be using these servers in production)
  3. At a date in the future (could be a month) I want to do a final sync on the on-premises servers and the final sync pushed up to VM's on VMC. (final sync could be done out of hours/weekend). 
  4. Users to start using servers on VMC as their primary file servers.

I have been looking at the pre-seeding aspects, but I am not sure it is going to do what I am looking for.

If you would be so kind to let me know your thoughts that would be great?

Thanks,

G.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, a bulk migration (or RAV) scheduled for say 6 months in the future will do an initial HBR sync, once the initial one is done then it maintains a 2 hour RPO window until the scheduled time is reached. You are free to change the date of the migration even at any time.

If it's DFSR servers, it might be a better option to set up a new file server and let DFSR do its thing and sync the files at an OS level rather than using HCX.

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
gabicava83
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris, thanks so much for taking your time to reply.

It would be great to do it as OS level but sadly that is not possible.

The network on=premises is incredibly locked down and the only link between VMC and said network is via HCX. Hence looking at HCX to do such "sync".

Would you consider also looking at the "Protect to HCX target site" option?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos