VMware Communities
kfurino
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools failure in Snow Leopard Server guest

It is not possible to install or remove VMware Tools in a Snow Leopard Server guest in the Tech Preview. In a newly installed Snow Leopard Server VM, the VMware Tools installer does nothing when I double click its icon, nor does anything show as "running" in the guest's Activity Monitor. If I attempt to run the installer from the Terminal, I receive the error message "Illegal instruction."

Running the uninstaller throws the following exception:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xfffffffffffffff8
Crashed Thread: Unknown

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I assume you have the virtual machine operating system type set to macOS 10.6? That should get the correct VMware Tools to install.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
kfurino
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the OS type is set to "Mac OS X Server 10.6"

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you using Server 10.6.8?  That's the only version that works.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And what's the host and guest hardware config?

0 Kudos
kfurino
Contributor
Contributor

The guest is a new Server 10.6.8 (64-bit) install with 2 cpus, 8gb RAM, hardware level 20, a 40GB disk, and bridged networking. All OS updates are installed.

The host is a 2019 MacBook Pro, 5600m, 64gb RAM running macOS 12.6.1.

The vm is performing well. The only issue is with the tools.

As a second test, I pulled out a copy of a 10.6.8 Server guest (32-bit) I made years ago with Fusion 9, which has a working but outdated copy of the tools installed. That vm has 1 cpu and 4gb RAM. Attempting to upgrade or uninstall the tools produced the same behavior as the new vm.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ugh - I seem to remember there was an issue with Tools on older Windows VM's a few weeks ago (can't remember what the problem was), but maybe it's related.  @wila do you happen to remember?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm .. not sure. I'm wondering if it could be an expired code sign signature on the installer.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
BruceH2023
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this problem as well. When and how do we get hold of an installer with an updated signature?

0 Kudos
BruceH2023
Contributor
Contributor

(please)

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

As far as I can tell, it's no longer listed as a supported guest OS 

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&details=1&partner=...

So I wouldn't expect to get one.