VMware Communities
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken

Dear Team,

While installing Kali Linux on VMware Fusion player 12, I encountered with the error "Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken" on MacBook Air M1 2020. I tried multiple times by relaunching it again but output is same.

Also am getting the error as 

"This version of VMware Fusion is for Intel-based Macs, but is being run on an Apple silicon based Mac via Rosetta-2."

Can anyone help me in resolving this issue.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Kawakaf
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same error message, Mac M1 running Monterey 12.0.1 with Fusion 12.2.1.

Installed VMWare, copied VM from the older computer, asked me to upgrade which I did, warns about Rosetta and goes into the error message.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Your thread needs moving to the Fusion area by a moderator, I’ve reported it so one of them should come and do that.

2. You have a Mac with an M1 processor, only this version of Fusion works with that: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/ct-p/3022

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

In the provided 3 download links are there, which I need to choose?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The dmg file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you copied a VM from the older computer, you may have an issue.  Was that older machine an M1 or Intel?  If intel, then that VM will not work (and it never will).  You'll need an ARM based guest on a M1 computer.

0 Kudos
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

I followed the instructions which is there is the community blog. i installed .dmg file and after running it again am getting the error as "The device type Isilogic" specified for "scsio" is not supported by vmware fusion e.x.p.

Kindly address what is the solution for this.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What virtual machine are you trying to create/install when you get that error?

0 Kudos
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying to install vmware fusion.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

That error should not popup when trying to merely install Fusion... only when you try to power on a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

Actually am installing kali linux on vmware fusion, while installing it is showing the above error.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What platform option of Kali Linux are you trying to install on the Tech Preview?

If the answer to that is "VMware virtual machine image" or "Bare Metal 64 bit," then architecture incompatibility may be the issue. Those 2 options are Intel (x86_64) architecture operating systems which will not run on Apple Silicon. 

The Apple M1 Bare Metal version seems to install (I'm running through installing it as we speak)... I'll update this as I get further along.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

Please provide the update on the same.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Successful installation using the "Apple M1" Bare Metal download.

Technogeezer_0-1640036065859.png

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
sagarhebsur
Contributor
Contributor

Can you provide me the link to of iso files(VMware fusion, kali Linux)

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I'd rather teach you how to fish rather than give you the fish.

@scott28tt already posted a link to the Fusion for Apple Silicon Tech Preview that you will need in this thread. You can download the release and a Testing Guide from there. Please take the time to review the Testing Guide. 

A web search for "Kali Linux" should lead you to the Kali Linux download website. There's a "Get Kali" link there. From the "Get Kali" page you should click on the link marked "Bare Metal". Do not use the "Virtual Machines" link on that page - those are only for Intel processors.

The "Bare Metal" downloads you want are those marked for "Apple M1", not "64 bit" or "32 bit" (both of which are Intel only). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There's no pre-built VMware virtual appliance image for ARM architecture. You will need to create a virtual machine and use the ISO to install it like you'd do on a physical machine. The defaults when you create a new virtual machine for network adapter and hard disk type (NVMe) are OK, but I'd recommend a virtual hard disk size of 20GB or more, splitting the virtual hard disk into multiple files, and increase the VM's memory to 2GB or more.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos