VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

KB-84273.

I downloaded the VMware fusion for my M1 and prompted an "Upgrade ... " Dialog box. I accepted, and it froze me in my tracks. My error code is KB-84273. Feel free to reach out here or via my Twitter: LandoWRLD.

25 Replies
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With Fusion Universal TP build, Intel Macs can only run x86-based Guest OS, 

and M1 Macs can only run ARM-based Guest OS.

Please use x86 Guest VM on your Intel x86 Mac-book.

thanks,

Gaurav

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

A great step would be to read and pay attention to the error message - it's telling you exactly what is wrong.  If you have an Intel based Mac, then you can run Intel-based VMs (x86, x86-64) and not ARM-based ones.  And vice-versa.

0 Kudos
dead_lee
Contributor
Contributor

What's the point for a VM provider cannot support VM images running on another Hardware Arch...All these Game EMUs do better job than VMWare.
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@dead_lee wrote:
What's the point for a VM provider cannot support VM images running on another Hardware Arch...All these Game EMUs do better job than VMWare.

The basic definition - virtualization exposes the actual CPU to the software-based computer, and allows for much better performance; emulation pretends to be a different CPU for the software-based computer, and has far lower performance because of all the opcode translation which is needed to take place.  Completely different kinds of products!

0 Kudos
PeteMidg
Contributor
Contributor

hi

It's not quite that simple though!

I just used fusion 13 to import an expired trial parallels vm that had been working fine on my m1 iMac, but when it got through the import process, it refused to start it alleging that it was intel x86 based: although as I repeat, it had been working fine !!!

so clearly something is not quite right in the VMware import. any ideas, anyone?

thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion on Apple Silicon does not support import of Parallels VMs. See https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-13-for-Mac-insists-that-a-VM-is-x... for a discussion and what appears to be a workaround. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos