VMware Communities
ckolovson1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is Fusion 12 Pro for Apple silicon available as part of the "VMware Fusion Public Tech Preview"?

I was able to get a free license key for Fusion 12 Player which enabled me to use the tech preview, but I'd like to know if Fusion 12 Pro is also available for free as part of the "VMware Fusion Public Tech Preview" for Apple silicon. If so, how does one register for the free license key for Fusion 12 Pro? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It could be possible that you have remnants of another Fusion installation (especially if you tried to use Fusion 12 or you migrated from another Intel Mac to an M1 Mac).

Try the complete uninstall procedure in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 then reinstall the Tech Preview. The installation will ask for a license key, but it will be pre-populated with a key that enables Fusion Pro functionality for the Tech Preview.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You don't need a key for the preview, it's built into the installer.

Make sure you review the preview guide for instructions on how to build a new ARM guest.  Intel guests will not work (and never will).

0 Kudos
ckolovson1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @ColoradoMarmot. Have you tried the latest version available for download? When I run the current version of Fusion for ARM that is part of the tech preview for Apple silicon, it asks for a license key. I do not see any way to work around that. What am I doing wrong? What do you mean by "it's built into the installer"? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It could be possible that you have remnants of another Fusion installation (especially if you tried to use Fusion 12 or you migrated from another Intel Mac to an M1 Mac).

Try the complete uninstall procedure in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 then reinstall the Tech Preview. The installation will ask for a license key, but it will be pre-populated with a key that enables Fusion Pro functionality for the Tech Preview.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
ckolovson1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!! That worked!! 

0 Kudos