VMware Communities
MichaelMonschau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing Ubuntu or Debian freezes

I downloaded the latest VMWare Fusion M1 preview and attempted to install ubuntu 22.04 and debian 11.3.0 for arm64 on a Macbook Air M1 2020. 

I create a new virtual machine and install from iso image on my hard-disk. In both cases I am presented with a basic menu and when I pick the install option the menu goes away and all I get is a flashing text cursor. I googled online and some suggested to disconnect the network adapter but that did not do it for me.

Has anyone managed to install these systems using the M1 preview?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Known issue, this has been discussed many times in this forum and a search here would have saved you a posting.

The Linux kernel developers introduced changes in the kernel to address the security issues on Intel and ARM CPUs that were disclosed in March 2022. These changes render those kernels unbootable on the Tech Preview due to a VMware issue.

The Linux changes have been rolled out to almost all current Linux distributions as security updates, so almost all current installers will have this problem. 

See the document https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Tips-Techniques-Gotchas-for-the-Tech... for more info. 

VMware has not released a fix tor this issue yet. We are expecting/hoping that an upcoming update to the Tech Preview (hinted by VMware to be in July) will address this issue. 

There are workarounds until that happens or if you need something today:

• Install from a distribution’s installer that was built before March 2022,. For example, installing Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS with the procedure in the above document works. Don’t apply kernel updates until VMware addresses the issue. 
  • Use UTM. It’s not as full featured as VMware, but it’s free, will work with current Linux releases, runs ARM Linux well (as it is virtualizing not emulating), and does not have the issue (it did have the issue, but the developers fixed it quickly).
- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Known issue, this has been discussed many times in this forum and a search here would have saved you a posting.

The Linux kernel developers introduced changes in the kernel to address the security issues on Intel and ARM CPUs that were disclosed in March 2022. These changes render those kernels unbootable on the Tech Preview due to a VMware issue.

The Linux changes have been rolled out to almost all current Linux distributions as security updates, so almost all current installers will have this problem. 

See the document https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Tips-Techniques-Gotchas-for-the-Tech... for more info. 

VMware has not released a fix tor this issue yet. We are expecting/hoping that an upcoming update to the Tech Preview (hinted by VMware to be in July) will address this issue. 

There are workarounds until that happens or if you need something today:

• Install from a distribution’s installer that was built before March 2022,. For example, installing Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS with the procedure in the above document works. Don’t apply kernel updates until VMware addresses the issue. 
  • Use UTM. It’s not as full featured as VMware, but it’s free, will work with current Linux releases, runs ARM Linux well (as it is virtualizing not emulating), and does not have the issue (it did have the issue, but the developers fixed it quickly).
- Paul (Technogeezer)
MichaelMonschau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is great, thanks. Yes, should have looked more closely at existing posts.

0 Kudos
khanakia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am facing the same issue blank cursor ubuntu-22.04-live-server-arm64.iso

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@khanakia wrote:

I am facing the same issue blank cursor ubuntu-22.04-live-server-arm64.iso

There is nothing you can do to get that ISO to work on the March 2022 version (e.x.p. 19431034) of the Fusion Tech Preview. See my prior post in this thread.  

Please wait another couple of days.  The Fusion product manager indicated in a Twitter post that an update to the Tech Preview will be released this week (week of 25 July).  We anticipate it will fix the issue. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos