VMware Cloud Community
rgm34
Contributor
Contributor

Selecting a SAN (Interpreting Perfmon Disk IO Counters)

I have eight servers in my LAN Room, four are Windows 2003, the others are Windows XP boxes that don't do a lot. I also have an MSA 1000. I am looking to upgrade my SAN and implement VMware in 2010. Replication to a DR site is a future requirement.

A number of vendors have been in for demos and all of them have asked me to run Perfmon collecting the counters listed below for a 24 hour period and email them the files. None of them will tell me what they are looking for. I can open them in excel but beyond that I'm not sure what they are doing with the numbers. People in our office travel often so I've been collecting these for two weeks and really don't want to ftp all of the files to the vendors.

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Reads/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Writes/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Read Bytes/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Write Bytes/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Read

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Write

Can someone tell me what I should be looking at, I want to make sure I purchase the best system for our environment.

Are there other Perfmon counters I should be collecting?

Thank you.

Robert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
awliste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The joys of the surgical (and most vettable, unfortunately Smiley Happy approach of collecting empirical data, analyzing vendor recommendations, and making the best selection. It's a painful, painful process when making this kind of move - and very scary, considering the staggering amounts of money involved, especially if you're on a shoestring budget. ESX4, through storage vmotion and thin provisioning can provide you with a lot of flexibility and functionality margins for maintenance, but neither of these can necessarily provide you with great performance - at the end of the day, spindles and storage handling mechanisms will dictate that. And that's what these numbers are all about - what kind of real 'running load' performance is happening with your machines today. The vendors, once you feed them these numbers, will most likely feed them to their sales engineers / technical engineers, and from there a recommendation will be made for a unit that matches your shop's load.

Great article explaining how ESX4 and all the major aspects of storage performance ties together can be found here:

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/06/vmware-io-queues-micro-bursting-and-multipathing...

Remember, storage metrics are calculated in IOPS. Also remember, everything I've babbled on about is pretty much just a primer down at the physical disk level - you're also going to need to consider if you're planning on an iSCSI, FC, or NFS-based deployment, or a mixed environment. That opens it's own cans of worms...

Unfortunately, I think as you explore this question, you'll find the real answer is 'it depends'. I realize this isn't very helpful - but you're right on your first steps - collect the numbers and start doing your homework.

My two. Good luck trooper.

- abe

Integritas!

Abe Lister

Just some guy that loves to virtualize

==============================

Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!

Integritas! Abe Lister Just some guy that loves to virtualize ============================== Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!
0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Disk Reads/Sec will spell out the required IOPS performance which will dictate the speed and cache of the controller as well as to a slightly lesser extent the throughput of the underlying disk required.

Bytes/sec will dictate the throughput of the underlying disks - are 10K's enough or are 15K's required? Will ATA be sufficient or SCSI? RAID 10 or RAID 5? Just because a server is set as RAID 5, does it really need the throughput or was it for data protection? I think lots of cases RAID 5 is used when RAID 1 is more then sufficient.

0 Kudos