VMware Cloud Community
sdewndr
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring esxtop with SNMP

Hi - relatively new to VMware so please excuse my ignorance. We are trying to troubleshoot some issues and want to use our network monitoring application (Zyrion Traverse) to poll vaules you would typically find within esxtop - specifically the %ready, %used, and %mem.

I've gotten the MIB's and can upload them to Traverse's MIB browser. From there, if I can figure out the specific OID for these (if there are any) I should be able to monitor/graph this with our snmp poller.

Any suggestions?

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm not familiar with Zyrion but we're using SCOM 2007 and has pretty good number of settings we can monitor for the virtual machines themselves but SCOM R2 will support monitoring UNIX/Linux as well. esxtop and top commands will give you general ideas how things perform from latency perspectives. What types of server you're seeing performance issue? 90% of the times having problems with performances are due to disk I/O or SAN issues so you may want to tackle from there or use IOmeter to monitor your storage activities or you can use /usr/lib/vmware/sbin/vscsiStats -r command to see more details.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
sdewndr
Contributor
Contributor

The information that %ready and %use will proide is somthing that we would really like to monitor using snmp. With our monitoring tool we can create SLA's and track those to provide to management on various subjects. Using a central application to this monitoring is really essential. Any idea on how to find out the OID's for the %ready and %used values from esxtop?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I don't know the specific OID but this thread might give you some lead though to capture esxtop performance data.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
sdewndr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that link, but it doesn't really provide us with the specifics associated with monitoring %ready and %used for physical processor ussage of VMIDs on the host server. I would have thought there would have been an 'SNMP' way of doing this. If the VM's have a unique identifier in the kernal (a WID that corresponds to the VMID), one woujld think there would be a way to poll, log, and graph resource usage over time by the individual VM's.

Once again bearing in mind that I'm new to this and still in 'discovery mode' so what I'm asking/suggesting may not be possible out of the box.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

SNMP does not monitor any output of ESXTOP unfortunately. What SNMP can monitor is fairly well defined. You maybe able to build something that monitors esxtop output but by default that does not happen so you will be stuck with what ESX can push out via SNMP.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I do not believe VMware allows ESXTOP data/parameters to any VMware APIs or SNMP subsystems so you may have hard time finding it.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Maybe the free veeam moitor solution helps.

0 Kudos
rajib_rashid
Contributor
Contributor

Zyrion Traverse is able to discover the VMs running on an ESX server (ESXi support coming soon) and monitor CPU and memory utilization among other performance metrics. If you are looking for additional metrics exposed via the SNMP MIB, it can be easily added to the existing "Device Signature" for Vmware for similar discovery/monitoring capability. You can submit a request by following the steps outlined in http://community.zyrion.com/showthread.php?t=89.

As a side note, even if the metrics in question cannot be monitored via SNMP, the extensible plug-in framework of Traverse can be leveraged to use "esxtop" for this purpose. Zyrion support team (http://zyrion.com/support/helpdesk) would be happy to help with such tasks.

0 Kudos