VMware Cloud Community
BobSimon
Contributor
Contributor

License

I have licenses for VMware ESX vSphere 4 Advanced and VMware vCenter Server Standard.  I've been working with ESX 4.1 in my lab for a few weeks and now want to check out ESXi.  Does my ESX license entitle me to upgrade to ESXi?  If so, do I simply download and install it and when it asks for the license, just enter the serial number I already have?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Does my ESX license entitle me to upgrade to ESXi?

yes, ESX and ESXi are the same hypervisor, so licensing applies to either or

If so, do I simply download and install it and when it asks for the license, just enter the serial number I already have?

That is correct.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Yes, the licenses are the same.  You will have no issues with this approach.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
BobSimon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I tried to click on "Helpful Answer" and "Correct Answer" to give you guys points but nothing happened.  I tried this with both Firefox and IE.  What's the trick?

I'll try again in a minute, now that I've marked the question as answered.  If you see the helpful flags, please ignore this question.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks.  I tried to click on "Helpful Answer" and "Correct Answer" to  give you guys points but nothing happened.  I tried this with both  Firefox and IE.  What's the trick?

The points system is broken, as of now, and is a known issue.

Glad we could help!

0 Kudos