VMware Cloud Community
TIM02210
Contributor
Contributor

Free version of ESXi 5 verses licensed version

I have licenses on order for ESXi 5 and Virtual Center, they should be here in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I want to get a jump on things and I installed the free version of ESXi and plan on adding the licenses when they arrive. Is this a mistake, are they exactly the same. The reason I am asking is that I was told by a co-worker that they were but I'm having am issue with CLI and I see another post that says:

"has apparently restricted Remote Command Line Interface (RCLI) administration of the free version of ESXi"

Will this be enabled when I add the license key or should I just wait for until I get the licenses before I get started.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The licenses are definitely not the same. The free license only supports a subset of the features. What you can do, is to run the vSphere installation (vCenter Server as well as the ESXi hosts) in evaluation mode (good for up to 60 days) until the purchased licenses arrive. Evaluation mode (no license keys entered) is equal to "Enterprise Plus" licensing. If you already assigned the free licenses to your hosts, go to the licensing (Configuration -> Licensed Features) and reset them to "Evaluation Mode".

André

0 Kudos
jordanthompson
Contributor
Contributor

I am just starting with esxi 5.0 at home (we have a version of this at work and I want to understand and get familiar with it at home.)  I currently have an evaluation key but want the free version.  How can I turn my evaluation version into a free one?

thanks,

Jordan

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For the free Hypervisor edition, register at http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi and apply this license key to your installation. To do this, login to the ESXi host using the vSphere Client, select the host in the inventory and enter the key in Configuration -> Licensed Features.

André

0 Kudos
jordanthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing how easy it is when you know 🙂 thanks very much.

0 Kudos