VMware Cloud Community
gervais225
Contributor
Contributor

webcamera on a Virtual Machine

I want my Virtual Machine present on a host in my server room to be able to use the integrated camera of my laptop when I start a meeting there. most of the time I use Teamviewer to connect to my VM. already is it possible? if yes how to do it?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product are you using to host the VM, ESXi or something else?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gervais225
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 6.7.

0 Kudos
gervais225
Contributor
Contributor

i am using teamviewer to connect to the vm which is on an ESXi 6.7 host
I want when I start a video call from my vm my microphone and my laptop camera to be used. if possible what are the right tools to use.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, asking them to move it to the area for ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gervais225
Contributor
Contributor

thank @scott28tt 

0 Kudos
Yoshimotto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

If i understand, you want use the camera, micro, sound of your laptop into a session on a VM hosted in an ESX.

For me can try to open a rdp session to the vm with advanced configuration (local ressourcies\others).

0 Kudos
Yoshimotto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can also with WMWare Remonte Console

0 Kudos
gervais225
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Yoshimotto .THANKS. does my pc have to be in the vm network? because I use teamviewer to connect via internet

0 Kudos
zenmatrix
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
gervais225
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @zenmatrix excuse me but I have trouble understanding. I explain my need to you and tell me what it takes to be able to do it. I have my datacenter which is in another city and I access it by teamviwer. I don't have a vpn configured to access the local network. I want to use the camera and the microphone of my laptop if I make a video call from the vm.

0 Kudos
zenmatrix
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you would need network access, but you would also need access for vmware remote connections. Your only real option is the remote desktop option, which is very unsecure if not setup correctly, or some sort of virtual desktop software like horizon or citrix. I'd reall suggest setting up some sort of vpn in your case. Some more detailed steps for the rdp option is

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-allow-usb-webcam-passthrough-rdp-session

but you really would want a rdp gateway at least and not connecting directly to your vm with RDP over the internet.