VMware Cloud Community
rageshk
Contributor
Contributor

vmware new design clarifications

Hi,

I have 12 VMS in Site-1 and 7 VMs in site-2 ,i Need to implement HA,DRS in site-1 and site-2 also i need vPSHERE Replication between site-1 to site-2.
i am going to use ESXi 5.x (Latest version ) .Need to know following details .

I am installing dedicated Vcentre servers in site-1 and site-2

My Questions

Backup - do we need a seperate Physcial server for VDP or can we use any of the VMS in each site (what is the best Practise )

SRM - Do we need a seperate Physcial server for SRM in each site or  can we use any of the VMS in each site (what is the best Practise )

Replication - Do we need a seperate Physcial server for VRMS  or can we use any of the VMS in each site (what is the best Practise )

Replication - do we need a seperate Physcial server for VR Server in secondary site  or can we use  VM (what is the best Practise )

How Best can we do for patching ..do we need a seperate server .

ESXI Sizing Questions

1.I have HA ,DRS in each site so what is the extra hardware we need to keep it free for  HA ,DRS while finalizing ESXI Hardware

Regards,

Raj

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With regards to Backups, it depends on the product you are using to accomplish local backups. For instance Veeam  can run as a VM allowing direct access to the SCSI stack for quick backups and easy configuration to DAS or SAN.

For SRM please read and follow the following documentation for all design considerations.

http://pubs.vmware.com/srm-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/srm-install-config-5-1.pdf

For Replication IMO use SAN replication with SRA but every environment is different and it all depends on your requirements and constraints.

-vFantastic

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you can use them as VMs in all the questions asked except fo esxi sizing. For each vcenter, you need dedicated vdp. For SRM you can install srm application on vcenter servers. Please note VRMS and VDP are virtual appliances and you dont have physical machines for it

0 Kudos