VMware Cloud Community
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmfs question

A question on the VMFS vlock size.

If I have a 500Gb datastore wirth 2Mb block size, does that means that writing a smallish file (e.g. 1K) on a VM that uses that datastore will commit 2Mb on the disk no matter what?

If that's correct followin the same logic does a 2TB datastore with 8Mb block size commit minimum 8Mb at the time?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sub blocks are used to allocate smaller chunks of data. There is no penalty in using 8MB datastores as far as efficient use of storage.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sub blocks are used to allocate smaller chunks of data. There is no penalty in using 8MB datastores as far as efficient use of storage.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I don't think so, there is a way that it can slice up smaller blocks out of the block size for those files. Although, there isn't all that many files on a VMFS datastore anyway (vmx, vmdks, a few others) so it wouldn't matter that much either way.

I default all datastores to 8MB blocks as it is the most efficient way to ensure no issues later, and that you can always use the max size supported on VMFS3.

Edit: DSTAVERT beat me to it Smiley Happy

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Brillian! Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you are not having any disk of 2TB then there is no need to have 8MB block size. Then its better to have smaller block size and small size  datastore.

its better to have multiple datastores of different block size.

0 Kudos