VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client is so bad that my experience managing and supporting VMware has turn to....

Purpose of this post is simple and obvious...  bring back development to thick client.  THANKS!

720 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Now this is addressed known issue...Shockwave Flash has crashed issue in Chrome.

0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure I'd consider install a browser that is not part of corporate policy, then add the ridiculously insecure Adobe release of Flash on top, as the issue being addressed.  I'm sure vmware thinks it's a great solution though.

mowgus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Having the same issue with Chrome.... trying to deploy an OVF template.  Tried IE but can't because it has a 4 GB upload limit. *facepalm*

VMware, listen to your customers!!!!!!!!!  Up until you removed the C# client in 6.5 I was a huge fan and ALWAYS recommended vSphere as the best solution.  Now, I can't.  I have clients that I won't upgrade to 6.5 because they will be frustrated with the web-client (and thus put the blame on me). 

You went from a super-stable C# client that was super fast and slick to a slow, cumbersome web-based client that is relying on third party software that gets updated with no influence or prior testing from VMware.  How anyone thought this was a good idea is beyond me.  You want to support Linux/Apple?  Fine, have the web client AND the C# client. 

0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

untitled.png

0 Kudos
Don22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot believe that this i still a problem I can only get the web client to work half the time if I am lucky.   There is absolutely no excuse for this and VMware needs to scrap the web client and admit that they were wrong and refund 1 year support to every  company that pays to for support to make up for this total disaster.  I don't have time for this!

0 Kudos
dennisluvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a KB article has been published/updated with some workaround steps.  We are continuing to investigate as well

Shockwave Flash crashes with vSphere Web Client 6.5 (2151945) | VMware KB

Pasting the workaround steps here for easy reference (but these may go stale as the KB is updated)

-------------------------

Caution: This has not been verified by Adobe. fp_27.0.0.159 is not the latest version,  the latest Flash version is 27.0.0.170.

All versions previous to 27.0.0.170 are impacted with the vulnerability CVE-2017-11292. See, https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb17-32.html.

Workaround for FireFox:

1. Click Start > run, type appwiz.cpl and click Run.
  2. Uninstall Adobe Flash Player 27 NPAPI Version 27.0.0.170.
  3. Download https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_27.0.0.159_archive.zip.
  4. Extract the fp_27.0.0.159_archive.zip\27_0_r0_159\flashplayer27_0r0_159_win.msi.
  5. Close FireFox.
  6. Run the extracted flashplayer27_0r0_159_win.msi.
  7. Click Start > run, type services.msc and click Run.
  8. Disable Adobe Flash Player Update Service.
  9. Open the vSphere Web Client in FireFox.

Workaround for Chrome:

1. Download pepflashplayer.7z available at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/attachment?aid=307292.
  2. Extract the pepflashplayer.dll to the Desktop.
  3. Open C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\UserData\PepperFlash\27.0.0.170\ in File Explorer.
  4. Rename pepflashplayer.dll to pepflashplayer.old.
  5. Copy the pepflashplayer.dll extracted earlier from the desktop to‘C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\UserData\PepperFlash\27.0.0.170\.
  6. Open the vSphere Web Client in Chrome.
0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Intentionally running an out of date version of Flash is a workaround to use the product I'm paying for?

JMachieJr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem is that the web client continuously has one issue after another. It has never really worked reliably.

VCP-DCV | MCP | Linux+ Twitter: @James_Machie_Jr LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jmachiejr
NeilP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've always disliked the web client. I've been using VMware products since ESX 3.5 and I've found the thick client to be reliable and stable.

However, the web client is an unmitigated disaster. It's slow and frequently suffers from graphical corruption where sometimes you can't see what you're meant to be clicking until you force a refresh. This is bloody dangerous!

Please listen to your customers AND especially the techies that keep recommending your products; which is becoming more and more difficult!

0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As if right on cue, a weekly reminder of why downgrading Flash is not a workaround:

Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Critical. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.

The flash-plugin package contains a Mozilla Firefox compatible Adobe Flash Player web browser plug-in.

This update upgrades Flash Player to version 27.0.0.170.

Security Fix(es):

* This update fixes one vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player. This vulnerability, detailed in the Adobe Security Bulletin listed in the References section, could allow an attacker to create a specially crafted SWF file that would cause flash-plugin to crash, execute arbitrary code, or disclose sensitive information when the victim loaded a page containing the malicious SWF content. (CVE-2017-11292)

hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

F*in awesome. For the past week I've been having the same problem with chrome. Not only that, but also IE crashes when I try to login. We dont have flash support in our Firefox browsers. So now I'm forced to use even more limited html5 version of web client.

@ vmware : if you don't have fully working thick client by next year when we are upgrading our cluster, you are not on the list of hypervisors we choose from. period.

unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There's a petition to open-source the C# Client.

Petition VMware to Open Source ESXi Thick Client

I doubt if VMware will listen, but it's worth a shot

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
Bahou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have to agree as everyone else.  I've been heavily using VMware vSphere products (ESXi and vCenter) since v3.X and being forced to use the web-client in 6.5 is brutal.  It takes me so much longer to perform everyday administrative tasks.  I've put off using the web client since it was heavily introduced in late 4.X releases and now I can't anymore since it's required.

VMware, you're destroying an industry leading product.  I've been a VMware fan boy and multiple version VCP for years and this is the first time I've ever even considered switching hypervisor platforms.  Wake up...

- Jack
chiarbone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Couldn't resist chiming in to this excellent post which sums up all my frustrations regarding this horrendous web client. It is so bad. Glad I am not alone, but still p*$$ed that these frustrations we all have, are STILL  falling on seemingly deaf ears - however many years later.

Please, VMware wake up! Nice try, but it just is a terrible terrible way to manage the environment.  Bring back the C# client now.  IE crashes, Chrome shows a blank screen or depending on what day it is it may work, but most likely not, Opera lol, Firefox 50/50 but no Remote/Web Console mostly or some other oddball crash.  JC, I detest having to even login and use your once awesome product, because this web client sucks up all my time to the point that we are spending more than 40% of the time simply trying to login.

Starting to look at other products for next renewal because obviously you dont care about customers and newsflash, you're stuff aint cheap anyway.

P.S.  My one friendly suggestion for anyone in this thread, I send in a support ticket every so often "gently" reminding them that web client is atrocious and is flawed just in the hopes they see it (w/ screenshots and same old detail we all experience). Pathetic as this may seem, my hope is that maybe if they start seeing their support queued up with more tickets generated for the same damn issue, (e.g crashing, slowness, whatever) it will begin getting attention of someone who can make some noise from the inside. Power in #s.

Howiedog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will also chime in here. I can also confirm that if Vmware continues on this arrogant path of ignoring it's customers, then we too will gladly jump off this sinking shit storm.

This Web Client is a fucking joke. Seriously.

Trying to config SRM is a joke. This fucking web client just sits there a spins its wheels over and over again. "Sites" never fucking displays the sites. Restart web client services. sure. wait another fucking 20 min to do anything. How is this being productive you pundits.

Fuck your Web Client, Fuck your HTML5. Give use back the Fat Boy.

Vby1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is why I have always avoided the web client, plain and simple, most web interfaces are trashy, slow, prone to issues depending on browser version etc...

One main thing that put me off the web client, was me imagining the filthy coding behind mounting an ISO in a container like a web browser and streaming it to the host, I have little doubts that it would ever work with stability, if at all.

There was never anything wrong with the vSphere client.

unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Lost in Web Client:

• Ability to use a client ISO (this was tremendously useful for one-off VM builds)
  • Ability to export to OVA

Severely impaired:

• Ability to create or import OFV/Appliance
+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
brickleberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

from the way vmunderware takes comments, addresses issues, fixes their product and brings useful enhancements...

ohh wait, they don't.

WE are the customer.

did you hear me vmunderware?

did you hear ANYONE telling you about the dysfunctional interface you have FORCED upon us?

if not here is a tl/dr

YOUR web client SUCKS.

we waste time, get frustrated, make mistakes, all due to you FORCING your inadequate client on us.

i get that you are trying to make availability a thing. while that's great for you, it is not great for YOUR CUSTOMERS.

there are more than a handful of dissatisfied CUSTOMERS. too many for you to continue ignoring.

in conclusion, you are PAID by US, the CUSTOMER, the ones that use YOUR product daily, the ones you are REFUSING to acknowledge on this.

that's fine if you have an abundance of CA$H, so much that you do not need more.

i know there are other businesses that would be happy to treat their CUSTOMERS as a business should.

@patgelsinger

#listentoyourcustomers

attached is a snip showing that more than a handful of users are requesting a functional interface

Vby1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

JAVA™ may be the answer to this.

Oracle eBusiness Suite, Limewire & the NHS ESR system are 3 very good examples of nice looking and reliable java apps, 2 of those run independantly in a browser.  Also, every KVM console I've ever encountered has been java powered, not nice looking but working in good order on any operating system.

I believe that this sort of approach would bring stability.

Using things like activex/signed code, javascript, HTML5, browser plugins, all mixed together, will result in failure at all costs.

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Respectfully, JAVA™ is not the answer to anything! Oracle has gone so far our of its way to attack its own user base and make itself un-licensable in a VMware environment, many admins (myself included) will not spec. Oracle anything. Oracle will be a footnote in the history of IT (much like Novell) before the current generation of admins retires!

Moreover, how many times have you opened a browser, only to see that JAVA had changed and you could no longer access the resources (like a switch) you needed to without first updating JAVA? JAVA is the web-client all over, yet even more intrusive because it will try to install "yahoo toolbar" or som other BS on enterprise systems!

0 Kudos