VMware Cloud Community
coolspot18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere ESXi 6.5.0 Hardware Sensors

Hello Everyone,

I have a Q170 based motherboard and have successfully loaded ESXi 6.5.0. However, ESXi does not display any Hardware Sensor Data and reports "No Sensor Data Available".

Does ESXi require BMC or IMPI to obtain hardware database? Does it not get at least basic sensor information from the CPU sensors, etc.?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmmckernan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wanted to update this thread.

Over the weekend a VMware engineer updated my case. .... Yes it is still open.

Please have a look at the following links ..... There is no resolution at this time but they have confirmed the bug and are working on it.

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151238

https://recommender.vmware.com/solution/SOL-21564

Thanks,

View solution in original post

41 Replies
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  Originally I thought the problem was related to the new version of vCenter server in conjunction with ESXi 6.0u2, as I upgraded vCenter server first.  However, then I upgraded one of my hosts to 6.5 from 6.0u2 and after doing that I found that the sensors were still missing from the new version of vCenter server, and they are also missing from the html5 client on the upgraded host.   However, the sensors are still present if you connect directly to the upgraded host from the old C client (you can't connect the old C client to the new version of vCenter Server).

0 Kudos
motuzko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same situation. "No sensor data available" on Monitor/Hardware tab. Is there way to figure out why? Which log files should be checked?

0 Kudos
HelloBJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the output with "vsish -e get /hardware/ipmiSupport" ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

vSphere 6.5 is not supported most of the hardware , kindly please check the HCL for details .

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
EstherP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi everyone

I think is not a problem related to the hardware compatibility.

So far I have done the following tests:

vCenter 6.0U1b (windows) with sensors WORKING ---> upgrade to vCenter 6.5 ((windows) - Sensors NO working

vCenter 6.0U1b (windows) with sensors WORKING ---> migrate to vCenter 6.5 (vapp) - Sensors NO working

Clean installation vCenter appliance 6.5 --> sensor WORKING (with support hardwarde HP-G8, and with unsupport hardware HP G6, also working)

I am suffering the problem with the sensors in vCenter 6.0 (since the upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0) . At present, the sensors  are only visible, if I reset and update the Hardware sensors, but vCenter is unable to refresh the sensors automatically. HP and VMware confirmed to me, that they were able to reproduce the same problem in their Labs and the solution would be implemented in the next releases.

We are even worse, because in that case, the sensors are not visible anytime.

At the beginning, I thought it could be due to a lack of permission, but even with the administrato@vsphere.local, are not visible. I have been comparing all the advance options between the fresh installation and the vcenter already migrated, and apparently, there are not differences.

I will open a new case to HP and VMware, and we will see if they can provide us any solution. Meanwhile, I will continue doing different tests in different scenarios.

If someone has more information, please let me know.

Regards

Piki

0 Kudos
motuzko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[root@ESXi:~] vsish -e get /hardware/ipmiSupport

IPMI state: 0 -> IPMI not supported

Hardware

Shuttle Global - SH67H3

I thought I had hardware data available with ESXi 5.x/C client

0 Kudos
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, the sensor data does display perfectly if you connect the native C client directly to the ESXi 6.5 host, so this is not an issue of ESXi 6.5 being unable to obtain the sensor data from the hardware.   It does appear to be an issue with how that data is made available to the GUI interfaces, both the native html5 interface within ESXi 6.5 itself and the GUI interfaces within vCenter Server.   I've sinced rolled back ESXi 6.5 to 6.0u2 due to problems with host connected USB devices and VMs, so I can't say whether or not the sensor data was being presented correctly via the CLI interface as I didn't try that.

0 Kudos
Hedgehog_57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

little investigation.

VCSA 6.5

Entering by SSH.

There are two interesting logs

/var/log/vmware/vsphere-ui/logs/vsphere_client_virgo.log

This is HTML5 client log. When accessing any of Hardware Health you get this in the logfile:

-----------------------------------------------------

[2016-12-28T14:37:33.929Z] [ERROR] data-service-pool-1112       70000225 100003 200001 com.vmware.vise.util.http.ConnectionManager                       Error reading from the stream: https://vcenter.fqdn:443/hwh/gwtcim?host=host-5170&op=getHostData

[2016-12-28T14:37:33.929Z] [WARN ] data-service-pool-1112       70000225 100003 200001 com.vmware.vim.cimmonitor.http.impl.CimVc61HttpService            No host data. Http status code: 404

[2016-12-28T14:37:33.936Z] [ERROR] data-service-pool-1105       70000225 100003 200001 System.err                                                        [Fatal Error] :1:1: Premature end of file.

[2016-12-28T14:37:33.937Z] [ERROR] data-service-pool-1105       70000225 100003 200001 c.v.vsphere.client.host.hardware.ciminfo.HostCimInfoXmlReader     Error parsing XML document org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:257)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:339)

at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:121)

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.host.hardware.ciminfo.HostCimInfoXmlReader.initializeXmlDocumentAndXpath(HostCimInfoXmlReader.java:96)

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.host.hardware.ciminfo.HostCimInfoXmlReader.parse(HostCimInfoXmlReader.java:81)

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.host.hardware.ciminfo.HostCimInfoPropertyProvider.getHardwareStatus(HostCimInfoPropertyProvider.java:53)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.ServicePropertyProviderAdapter.invokeMethod(ServicePropertyProviderAdapter.java:285)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.ServicePropertyProviderAdapter.getProperties(ServicePropertyProviderAdapter.java:127)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.DataManager.getDataFromPropertyProvider(DataManager.java:1301)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.DataManager.getResultFromPropertyProvider(DataManager.java:1269)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.DataManager.access$000(DataManager.java:78)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.DataManager$1.call(DataManager.java:784)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.impl.DataManager$1.call(DataManager.java:780)

at com.vmware.vise.util.concurrent.ExecutorUtil$2.call(ExecutorUtil.java:654)

at com.vmware.vise.util.concurrent.ExecutorUtil$ThreadContextPropagatingTask.call(ExecutorUtil.java:957)

at com.vmware.vise.data.query.internal.profiling.MdcAwareExecutorService$1.call(MdcAwareExecutorService.java:148)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

/var/log/vmware/vsphere-client/logs/vsphere_client_virgo.log

This is Flash client log. There are no exception but similar ERROR:

[2016-12-28T15:04:40.152Z] [ERROR] data-service-pool-120259     70032048 102281 201989 com.vmware.vise.util.http.ConnectionManager                       Error reading from the stream: https://vcenter.technoserv.ts:443/hwh/gwtcim?host=host-5105&op=getHostData

[2016-12-28T15:04:40.153Z] [WARN ] data-service-pool-120259     70032048 102281 201989 com.vmware.vim.cimmonitor.http.impl.CimVc61HttpService            No host data. Http status code: 404

Question is: what service is responsible for /hwh and where to see it's logs. Maybe it will give us a qlue.

0 Kudos
EstherP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again.

For those who upgraded vCenter from versión 6.0 to versión 6.5 and the "hardware sensors" were missing, with "no data available", here the First "workaround"

I have to say, that this workaround is not working for me completly, becuase after implementing, I can see all the hardware sensors visible (this is the part that is working), but if I remove a disk, or unplug a power cable, vCenter does not realize that there has been a hardware failure, and the warning is not created, unless I click manually in "Update"

I have done this in my testlab and it would be perfect if someone with the same problema, can run the workaround, and do some test, in order to see if the vCenter can automatically update, the hardware status.

Hedgehog_57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe there is a way to reregister a service after removing?

0 Kudos
Hedgehog_57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can confirm. After removing this service We can see Hardware status of hardware. I don't have test lab at the moment to test auto update of removing some parts.

0 Kudos
PhyreMe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SSH into your system logging in as ‘root’ with your administrator password.

You can check the status with ‘esxcli system wbem get’ and you’ll notice that enabled is ‘false’ by default.

Enable wbem by using esxcli system wbem set -e 1. Wait for a couple of minutes [I found it took about 15 before it showed], and then update the Hardware Health Status tab.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/vmware-esxi-6.5.x_Release%20Notes_en-us.pdf

I also did this which helped on a host where the first did not

"No host data available" error in the Hardware Status tab after upgrading to vCenter Server 6.5 (214...

JamieGator32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"No host data available" error in the Hardware Status tab after upgrading to vCenter Server 6.5 (214...

This worked in my environment as well.  All seems to be functioning well now.  No more continuous 'refresh hardware information' messages from VEEAM.

This was driving me crazy since our upgrade on Saturday.  Thanks @phyrme for posting!

James F Cruce VCP6.5-DCV Gainesville VMUG Leader http://vmug.com/gainesville @jamescruce http://astgl.com
0 Kudos
Jonsie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This also seemed to somewhat correct the problem for me. I see sensor data now, but hardware events don't appear to trigger a sensor change. I'm going to do some more testing on this to verify.

Also noted the following:

1. 2 of the 3 PowerEdge R910 servers show the Serial number shows up as: "null" & the Tag field shows up with a super long GUID looking alpha-numeric string--there is no Asset Tag field. The 3rd PE R910 does show the Serial Number field with the proper DELL Service Tag, Tag field still shows the GUID number, and the Asset Tag field says "unknown". Due to them all being R910s I'm suspect the disparity is because of a differing firmware of the Lifecycle controller or other subsystem.

2. Both our PowerEdge R820s show the Serial Number field with the proper DELL Service Tag, Tag field shows the GUID number, and the Asset Tag field says "unknown".

3. Our PowerEdge R830 show the Serial number as: "null" & the Tag field shows up with the GUID looking alpha-numeric string--there is no Asset Tag field.

0 Kudos
FrancWest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are running HP Proliant DL360 gen 8 and gen 9. After upgrading, the sensor work, but I'm seeing way less sensors than with 6.0. For example, in 6.0 you saw the individual memory banks. Now with 6.5 it only display total memory, not individual banks. Also, some sensors in the tree even don't expand when you click on them.

0 Kudos
gerdesj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Also, some sensors in the tree even don't expand when you click on them"

Click on the expand all link in the list that starts "Update Reset Sensors ...", it looks like a little black triangle with four lines next to it.

0 Kudos
rmmckernan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We also have a HP DL360 GEN 9 running ESXi 6.5. Same issue with sensors . I have opened a case with VMware and HP. HP claims that since they can see the hardware properly through iLO it is an OS issue.

VMware is still reviewing the issue. They have pulled system logs from my system. and are supposed to get back with me by next Monday.

At this point that have acknowledge that it is something "new" but not sure if it is a bug or just something specific with my system

Things I have tested, still on showing 79 sensors

• HP 6.5  customized image Nov2017 Install
  • HP 6.5  customized image May2017 Install
  • Latest 6.5 Image install , with Feb2017 Offline Bundle from HP , Including util bundle, and AMS bundling
  • HP 6.0  U3 customized image Feb2017 Install ( 200+ sensors showed up)

Current build in production environment

• HP DL360 GEN 9, HPE-ESXi-6.0.0-Update2-iso-600.9.5.0.48 , VMware ESXi, 6.0.0, 3620759 ( 526 Sensors ) Showing.

Name                           Version                                Vendor           Acceptance Level  Install Date

-----------------------------  -------------------------------------  ---------------  ----------------  ------------

amshelper                      600.10.5.0-12.2494585                  HPE              PartnerSupported  2017-03-13

hpe-build                      600.9.4.5.11-2494585                   HPE              PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

hpe-cru                        6.0.8.6-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585           HPE              PartnerSupported  2017-03-13

hpe-esxi-fc-enablement         600.2.6.16-2494585                     HPE              PartnerSupported  2017-03-13

hpe-ilo                        600.10.0.0.26-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585     HPE              PartnerSupported  2017-03-13

hpe-smx-provider               600.03.11.00.9-2768847                 HPE              VMwareAccepted    2017-03-13

hp-conrep                      6.0.0.1-0.0.13.2159203                 Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

hpbootcfg                      6.0.0.02-01.00.11.2159203              Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

hpnmi                          600.2.3.14-2159203                     Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

hponcfg                        6.0.0.04-00.13.17.2159203              Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

hpssacli                       2.30.6.0-6.0.0.2159203                 Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

hptestevent                    6.0.0.01-00.00.8.2159203               Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

scsi-hpdsa                     5.5.0.46-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820          Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

scsi-hpsa                      6.0.0.114-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585         Hewlett-Packard  VMwareCertified   2016-02-24

scsi-hpvsa                     5.5.0.100-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820         Hewlett-Packard  PartnerSupported  2016-02-24

0 Kudos
PROXSYS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We also experiencing this issue on HP DL360 GEN8 and GEN9 running ESXi 6.5 HP 6.5  customized image May 2017

Before the update (running HPE-ESXi-6.0.0-Update2) there are 192 sensors visible. After the update only 58 sensors are visible (see screenshots).

Did you get a response from VMWare?

2017-06-13 15_18_27-vSphere - prox1-az4-esx2.infra.proxsys.net - Hardware Health.png2017-06-13 15_18_20-vSphere - prox1-az4-esx1.infra.proxsys.net - Hardware Health.png

0 Kudos
rmmckernan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No update at this time, They have identified it as a bug and I have been told they are working on it.

I have not received any information on whether there will be a fix prior to the next update or not. I was told it is a bug with the CIM service

I will press for an update today. I am mildly annoyed that they don't have a place to list the bugs they are working on .

Thanks,