A couple of weeks ago I installed a fresh vSphere 5.5 U2 from HP on a completely new HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 without any problems. Everything was working flawlessly, and I was just waiting for some disks before starting to use the server in our production environment.
Last week, when 6.0 was released, I decided to give the new version a try. As last time, I used HP’s customized version.
When configuring the server, I found two problems:
I then performed a fresh install of 6.0 instead of upgrading 5.5 U2 to see if it made any difference, but unfortunately it didn’t. Next step was to see if there was something wrong with HP’s vSphere image, so I started over using VMware’s general image. This didn’t make any difference either. Both times I used a wiped USB key as installation target. Has anyone else experienced these problems with vSphere 6.0?
I got the very same problem trying to configure NTP with ESXi 6 today.
The service was not starting with the same error reported.
Resolved manually configuring /etc/ntp.conf adding (in my case)
The configuration seems working and persistent across reboots.
So again .. never ever try to install a new release 😞
I've got the same problem and manual edited the file /etc/ntp.conf
restrict default kod nomodify notrap
server 192.168.0.10 version 3
After you add the last line with the ntp-server you have to restart the host. After restart take a closer look on the time configuration at the host.
I raised a support ticket against this in October last year during the 6.0 Beta - 14538274610 . It was reproduced in house but obviously not deemed to be important enough to have fixed in the final GA...
Odd, I see you and others reported this and 2 PRs were opened and marked fixed.
Can you confirm that you're using the C# client? I don't see this happening with the web client.
Yes, I think it is a problem with the C# client only. Not a problem of ESXi hypervisor "per se".
Probably due to the choice of leaving the C# in the dust and developing the web client. Thus the C# client didn't have the minimal not regression test.
I have only been using vSphere Client. Unfortunately, I’m not able to test these functions using the vSphere Web Client. Otherwise it would have been easier for me to check if the problems are caused by the server or the client.
Regarding the problem with automated SSO not working in vSphere Client, everything is functioning fine until I restart the server. This naturally implies that the problem is caused by the server. It doesn’t matter how many times I restart the vSphere Client or if I log on using another computer, it’s after a restart of the server the problems start.
Comparing my new 6.0 host with a fully functional 5.5 U2 host, I notice that the three AD related services “I/O Redirector”, “Local Security Authentication Server” and “Network Login Server” are replaced by a single service called “Active Directory Service” in the new version.
I'm getting this as well. I was able to fix it once, I thought it was through deleting the host_0 file on /scratch/var/tmp and making sure the NTP service was running, but that only fixed it the first time. I can log in with the AD account just as long as I don't use the "Use windows session credentials". This is very annoying.
Hi, I also get Call 'HostServiceSystem.Start' for object "serviceSystem" when I try to start ntp using the vsphere client on a brand new install of vsphere 6.0.
I dont have access to the physical console (nothing connected to the VGA port).
How can I fix this issue remotely?
Without NTP, the time is already drifting out, which is not good.
This may be unrelated, but we saw similar symptoms in-house until we disabled IPv6 on the host. When left unconfigured, it was causing errors with various modules loading.
Incidentally, we always run the command: ntpq -p
To verify the functionality of NTP, including firewall configs for port 123, if you are configuring to a public NTP server
Apparently fixing this isn't a priority. Just installed a fresh build 6.0.0, 2809209 standalone and while the fat client will accept an NTP server, and apparently stores it somewhere because the value survives a reboot, the value never ends up in ntp.conf. I had to add it via ssh. I didn't try the web client since using that piece of garbage is slower than enabling ssh, logging in, editing and starting.
We have not seen this. I wonder if what you are experiencing is a symptom of a diskless install and storing data/values on "non-persistent storage?" Our standard build procedure is roughly as follows:
This procedure seems to circumvent some of the issues you have experienced.
*Online update for HP (lines 1-5 should work for Dell, IBM, etc - basically any server)
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
esxcli software sources profile list -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml | grep ESXi-6
# Determine latest appropriate build of ESXi for your host and insert it in place of 'ESXi-X.X.X-XXXXXXXXXXX-standard' on the next line
esxcli software profile update -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml -p ESXi-X.X.X-XXXXXXXXXXX-standard
esxcli software vib install -d http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/latest/index-drv.xml
esxcli software vib install -d http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/latest/index.xml
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e false -r httpClient
I had the same error on ESXi, 6.0.0, 2494585
Using SSH to the VMWare server edit /etc/ntp.conf
add (according to your timezone):
In the server configuration -> Software -> Security Profile -> Services -> Properties -> Remote access
Pick NTP Daemon (for me was Stopped)
Below under Service properties click on Options:
Setup as in Time configuration
The NTP client start working.