VMware Cloud Community
uzee
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter servers in linked mode not inheriting the datacenter

(I posted it originally under the vCenter Server section but didn't get any responses. I know its not good to double post, could the mod pls remove it from there, hoping someone here might reply)

Hi,

We have a vcenter server with one datacenter that has 4 clusters. The current vcenter server is on a windows VM and the database is oracle on a linux vm. Recently I created 2 new windows VMs and configured them as vCenter servers in linked mode using a local MSSQL database on each. All of this went well, what's confusing me is that in my vCenter view I see the 2 new vCenter servers but they do not have the datacenter or its child clusters under them. In other words, the original vcenter server has the datacenter and everything else underneath it, and after all of the objects, I see the 2 new vcenter servers separately at the end. I can connect to any of the 2 new vCenter servers fine and they still show me the same view, so I can still manage the infrastructure using the new vCenter servers but my understanding was that all 3 vcenter servers should be right at the top - at the same level and my datacenter and cluster objects would then appear underneath all of them. I've gone through the vCenter server guide several times but haven't seen anything as a final step that I'm missing.

Could someone please help me out and tell me what if anything I'm missing so that my configuration is final. Eventually I would like to retire the original vcenter with oracle and operate with 2 new ones in linked mode. Right now I don't know if I remove the original vcenter server what might happen....

Thanks much.

uzee

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I think you understood linked mode incorrectly, its only used to make it more simple to administrate and delegate administration of several vCenters from the same view. It does not propagate any more information between them.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
uzee
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Linjo,

hrmmm.... if that's the case then in my situation how can I possibly retire my original vCenter server since the datacenter belongs to that one. If the additional 1 or 2 new vCenter servers are only there to provide an additional host or 2 to manage from, then what would happen if the original vcenter server crashes or something. Since the datacenter and all objects information is available only to the original one, how would the linked mode new hosts be able to handle that.

Maybe I'm thinking along the wrong path, but it doesn't make sense to me that the objects would only be under one vcenter server.

0 Kudos
virblog
Contributor
Contributor

Link Mode is configured to manage multiple vCenter servers.......

for vCenter HA u can installa vCenter heartbeat

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos