VMware Cloud Community
cylent77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

torn between the two.

ok so its been like a month of me playing around with vsphere5 and then xenserver5.6/6.

its been a very busy two weeks for each. i try to spend as much time as possible.

I havent delved too deep into a lot of the options.

Feature

ESXI vsphere   5

XENSERVER   5.6/6.0

Speed / Video drivers

Excellent   and with guest  video drivers

Slow/Sluggish   vnc console & no video drivers for guest

Software RAID

Not possible

Excellent   support – works! (Storage repository)

Flash Stick install

Excellent   support – works!

Very   selective and doesn’t work well.

NIC Drivers / speed

Multiple   options for guest driver / fast performance

Only one   driver available with very limited options in guest OS

Bootup speed

OK.   Sometimes likes to hang at odd things.

Fast and   able to disable startup daemons for more speed.

Unified management

Only have   vsphere client. No import ability / export

XENCenter /   multiple server connections + importing/Exporting

Autoboot VM

GUI doable   with ease

No option in   GUI. Doable via ssh.

Pushes to make purchase

None. VMWare   doesn’t bother you at all.

Citrix   throws “Learn more” and “Buy this” in xencenter

Download from anywhere

ESXI allows   you download from any country

Citrix likes   to play the whole “Embargo” game

Community / forums

Good   knowledgeable bunch of people on forums

Like a dead   zone. Forums are almost dead

and thats my table.

i would definately fly with esxi if only it supported software raid0 ... at this time though i'd like to hear some feedback from ya'll .... i am just really lost at this time.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
GaneshNetworks

Nice job. Expecting more comparisions.

~Ganesh~

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
cylent77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

very intesting. hardly any response but one.

the citrix forums guys are always quiet. but why my post like this on their forums everyone was defending xenserver ...

i could care less about defense though. i am more interested in making the negative points positive. for example my most important issue with esxi is raid. i need to accomplish this via software. i tried freenas a virtual machine and i setup iscsi on it. it worked for the most part but its not practical and would cause vsphere to freeze at bootup because it starts to look for the iscsi drive which is a virtual drive and wont be available till its booted.

so then that option is just too much drama. cant someone help me out with this?

vmware -- please allow software raid or at least add the raid tools so i can create a datastore manually on software raid...

edit: i think i'll reinstall vsphere 5 and just put up with no raid. Smiley Sad oh well.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

What about using USB for the ESXi install and then using FreeNAS for the VMs?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
cylent77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brian Atkinson wrote:

Hello.

What about using USB for the ESXi install and then using FreeNAS for the VMs?

Good Luck!

sorry i dont understand. i know how to isntall esxi to usb ... and  freenas for the vms? i've tried that. the only option i can deal with is freenas as a virtual machine but thats too much drama.

any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the info in kb 2009580 to install ESXi onto USB. It won't really help with your software RAID issue though. The thought was that you could then use FreeNAS on another piece of hardware. Its kind of ugly though, as FreeNAS isn't a supported storage solution.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

some comments:

Bootup speed:  Why does this matter.  For a stable hypervisor (which eSXi certainly is), you wont boot it more than maybe once a quarter, and so the difference of a 3 minutes boot vs. 5 minutes is nothing.  I wouldn't even bother evaluating this.

Unified Management:  Not sure what you mean by this?   vSphere client absolutely supports import of OVFs and you can also export OVFs as well.

Software RAID: Isn't possible, thats true.  But wouldn't you rather use an array designed for it rather than trust mdadm or LVM?

Also, you should add a consideration for:

1) Third party tool & app support

2) Performance (CPU, drive & NIC)

3) Supported API support

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
cylent77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unified Management:  Not sure what you mean by this?   vSphere client absolutely supports import of OVFs and you can also export OVFs as well.

can you show me where / how to import OVFs? cause i cant find the option.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

From the vSphere client, select File|Deploy OVF Template

Screen Shot 2011-12-17 at 8.09.40 PM.png

0 Kudos
cylent77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. it didnt work with files created from xenconvert.

and i am not aware of any utilities from vmware that create ova/ovf ?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

OVFtool:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/1013

if the image created by XenConvert didn't work, its probably XenConvert's bug, given that VMware wrote the OVF spec Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Looking through your post history I can see that you are in Iraq and that is why you can't get a RAID card.

If I was you I would look into getting one shipped internationally.  One of the main advantages or a hardware RAID card is that they usually have cache which massively increases performance.  Software RAID is okay, but unless you have hybrid drives for cache the performance will be poor.

I would also never recommend to anyone to store VMs on a RAID0 volume.  The 0 stands for how much you care about your data.

0 Kudos