VMware Cloud Community
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"required client support files" problem when connecting using vSphere via SSH tunnel

I am trying to connect to my ESX server using the vSphere client tunneled over SSH. I have done this in the past, but it isn't working now. I am fwding the appropriate ports (443, 902, 903) and have made the appropriate "hosts" file entry, as well. When I try to connect, I get the expected certificate error, and when i dismiss it I get a dialog saying that I need to download the "required client support files", and of course I can't download them from the vsphereclient.vmware.com site while I'm tunneled. I am confused about why I am getting this message, since I can connect to the ESX server using the installed version of vSphere if I do so directly (i.e., without an SSH tunnel).

Any thoughts? I am in urgent need of remotely administering my VMs, so any help would be most appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Turns out VMWare Workstation is listening on those same ports, and the putty tunneling is silently failing...so it looks like I'm connecting to my ESX box, but really wasn't. Disabling VMware Workstation Server and Authorization Server fixes it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Turns out VMWare Workstation is listening on those same ports, and the putty tunneling is silently failing...so it looks like I'm connecting to my ESX box, but really wasn't. Disabling VMware Workstation Server and Authorization Server fixes it.