VMware Cloud Community
BWITDEPT
Contributor
Contributor

need help adding VM to DMZ

I have a VM clone of an existing web server i am trying to put on our DMZ. The current production Web server is sinking fast and i am evaluating vSphere ESXi 5.5.0 on a newer, and more robust Dell server. I used vCenter Converter to clone the old server, and it seems to have worked very well. I now need to test the Web applications from the outside, and do further testing. This will probably be the only VM on this Dell server so i need just the basic vSwitch0 configuration to allow me to plug the VM into our corporate DMZ, and allow me to connect to the host from my vSphere client from the inside. I use a port on the Juniper firewall as my DMZ, and a basic Linksys 8 port switch plugged into that port, with the web server and an ftp server plugged into the switch. I want to replace the current web server with this VM clone.

How do i do this?

B

2 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Does your host (Dell server) have multiple nics?

If so, you can enable host management on a nic (say vmnic0 on vSwitch0) and create a new vSwitch using a different vmnic (say vmnic1) that you plug in to the little switch connected to the DMZ network. You can plug the vmnic0 into the inside and configure your management networking. Once you've done this, you create a new vSwitch using vmnic1 (presumably unused at this point) and configure a Virtual Machine port group for your cloned VM. Assign the cloned VM a nic in this Virtual Machine port group. You can then plug vmnic1 into the switch, and remove the cable for the physical web server and boot up your virtual machine.

BWITDEPT
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for the reply TomTom901. This server does have a second nic. The vSwitch0 has the VMKernel Port, and i left it as the Management network using the physical adapter, vmnic0. I enabled the second nic card on the switch, which became vmnic1, and made a new virtual switch called vSwitch1 using this nic. I modified the VM for the new web server's Network Adapter to connect to vSwitch1. I have not plugged the the VM into the DMZ switch yet, but i will test this in the morning.

thanks again, i'll give a status of this testing tomorrow.

B

0 Kudos