VMware Cloud Community
rs4vm
Contributor
Contributor

intra-VM intermittent connectivity issue

.39 & .36 (VMs) stop responding to ICMP from other VMs on the same LAN ‘VM Network’ (also from the WAN). 

while running a capture (using wire-shark), from .39 & .36’s perspective the ping requests are received and are replied to successfully.

from the node that is sending the ping, brief outage periods occur lasting 5 to 45 seconds.  they occur anywhere from every 5 minutes to every 2 hours (non-deterministic).

example: .58 sends a continuous ping to .39 and @ certain durations .39 stops responding, as if someone on the .39 enabled outbound restriction on the firewall.  i.e.; packets can arrive @ .39 but replies will be intercepted somewhere before they reach .58.

i am in the process of replacing both switches, but i don’t think that’s it.    i don’t see SUN x2270’s mac registered on either of the 2 switches’ address tables!

the Q is why the intermittent ICMP drops from the non .39 side?   what is intercepting (dropping) these outbound replies? 

the issue is def not host specific, the same was happening to a VM (.58) on the DELL before i rebooted both switches!  switch firmware was also updated.

image001.jpg

0 Kudos
0 Replies