VMware Cloud Community
tonym07
Contributor
Contributor

installation failed on esxi 5.1 iommu head/tail error

iommu error.jpgHello

I am a new user and i have a motherboard Supermicro H8QI6-F and when i install it gives me iommu head/tail error .

I am trying to figure out what is causing it but do not know the exact cause.Maybe its not resetting the iommu log or something like that, I have a Jpg image attached hopefully someone could tell me what it is exactly so i could let supermicro know as they are trying to help ''

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pierreLx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you enable all the BIOS settings for virtualization?

Pierre

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

H8QI6-F has 4x Socket-F (opteron 8xxx series), that is quite old thing. Maybe worth to check if it supports IOMMU (AMD-Vi) at all...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have seen iommu errors on a supermicro board while working on Xen. I had taken up with Supermicro and was provided with a BIOS which helped to fix the panics.

0 Kudos
tonym07
Contributor
Contributor

hello yes I enabled all features in bios iommu and  svm thanks

0 Kudos
tonym07
Contributor
Contributor

hello yes it supports iommu amd vi as this board was made in 2009 I think and it features in bios but will work only on esxi 4.1 and under

0 Kudos
tonym07
Contributor
Contributor

I Am trying with them as well but they keep saying it does not supporit esxi 5.1 or windows server 2012 but if I disable iommu it will install and work even windows will work but once install hyper v it will not boot after install so only windows 2008 hyper v works VMware esxi4.1 and under and xen 4.0 and under all work so a bit puzzled About what changed and why it will not work with iommu  thanks

0 Kudos
tonym07
Contributor
Contributor

update

just did a trial to find out and installed 5.0 and it was working and then update 1  working then update 2 working  then tried 5.1.0 and when it scanning hardware amd iommu on  yellow screen , it gives me that purple screen afterwards. Would anyone know what might be the changes made that affect the installation

thanks in advance

0 Kudos