VMware Cloud Community
OrionManufactur
Contributor
Contributor

how to troubleshoot: VM fails to come up after reboot

See this discussion which may or may not be related: how to troubleshoot: all physical network interfaces stop responding

In summary, sometimes I have to do a hard reboot of my physical machine because the NICs stop responding.  This problem has been ongoing for at least a year, but usually after a reboot everything would just come back up with no problem.

In the past month or two, a new problem has presented itself which is that one VM seems to get stuck at the "starting" phase.  I have 6 VMs on this box, and all are set to auto-start at boot, with a staggered 2 minute start.  After this problem started, I tried increasing to a 3 minute staggered start, but it made no difference.

The tasks pane shows the server stuck at 0% on starting, and any attempt to cancel just locks up the Vsphere interface.  I end up having to hard reboot the machine again, and after a second hard boot, the VM comes up with no problem.

Any idea what could be causing this?  Not sure if it is important, but the VM is a Windows 2012 R2 box running Microsoft Exchange.  The VM has 24GB of RAM available to it, out of a total of 96GB on the box, and only about 50GB allocated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
saikumarv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Considering only one VM has issues?  If yes, first try to shutdown the application, vm ;

detach the NIC card on configuration and re-attach the NIC;

- then try to start the VM;

On the contrary, if all VM's has issues, then certainly other troubleshooting steps need to perform.

0 Kudos
OrionManufactur
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown what application?

How can I remove a NIC from a vmachine in the process of starting?

And yes, it is only the one VM

If I wait long enough (hours?) something does seem to "timeout" and the VM will cancel the startup process.  It always starts fine, on the second attempt.  So a hard reboot of the physical machine is not necessary.  It is only necessary if I want my VM to start in a reasonable amount of time.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check for error or warnings in vmware.log file in VM folder on respective datastore.

0 Kudos
saikumarv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

yes as mentioned before, check the logs/notifications.

In addition, if you can get downtime, shutdown the VM, remove the NIC from VM properties;

click ok;

- again re-add the NIC and click ok;

- try to power on the VM.

next :

====

If you have other ESXi, try for vmotion of this VM to other hosts (cold vmotion)?& see if you still have same issues?

0 Kudos