VMware Cloud Community
OxapampaJuninCa
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5.5 purple screen (continuously crashes ) on Cisco UCS C220 M3 L, even when no VMs are running, #PF Exception 14 in world 33950:rhttpproxy-w, (also with hostd-worker, there are other daemons per crash as well)

esxi 5.5.0 (build 2068190) (cisco custom image 5.5.0 U2 GA) continuously crashes (approx. every 12 hours) even when there are no VMs running, with

#PF Exception 14 in world 33950:rhttpproxy-w, (also with hostd-worker, there are still other daemons per crash as well, so it does not seem to be tied to these specific daemons), SEE ATTACHMENTS.

HW setup/context: Cisco UCS C-220-M3-L (LFF), 2x Xeon CPU E5-2640 @ 2.5GHz, 64 GB mem., two SAS HDDs (@7200rpm) in RAID 1 configuration,

Cisco UCSC RAID SAS 2008M-8i for C220 with RAID 0/1/10 (SLOT-MEZZ) (currently in a RAID 1 configuration)

No other adapter cards are present. Using the 2 built-in LOM ports in active/standby network setup. Also no FlexFlash cards are installed.

SW: UCS firmware version 2.0(3f)

vSphere configuration: nothing special is configured, all defaults. Overall  (from vSphere client) health status is "normal".

esxi 5.5  is running locally on these HDDs.

HW Cisco CIMC hardware status: "overall good" (everything is green), memory and cpu are "good" (but does that really mean that it is so???).

IMPORTANT/ N.B.: this esxi 5.5 setup arose from an upgrade from esxi 5.1. (Although I would suspect that even a completely new install with new HDDs will crash as well, tried it last year with previous esxi 5.5 builds and still crashed. Before trying yet again with a completely fresh install of esxi 5.5).

Crashes are occurring consistently at approximately around world 34000 (in my setup).

With VMs running, e.g., just one windows 2008 server R2 with E1000 vnic VM, the box crashes in even less time in hours instead of half a day. (Previously thought that with only one VM running that it is the VM that is crashing the box, but obviously with none it still crashes. This setup is a long-term evaluation to deploy a larger setup with multiple esxi5.5 on UCS C-series,  but one would not expect esxi to be this fickle.

Please help! Thank you in advance. More purple screens are available as well as vmkdump log files.

Again thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies