VMware Cloud Community
gagan213
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cpu0:0)NUMA: 706: Can't boot system as genuine NUMA. Booting with 1 fake node(s)

Hi

Can any one help on this

cpu0:0)NUMA: 706: Can't boot system as genuine NUMA. Booting with 1 fake node(s)

i have just installed esx 4.0 update one under vmware workstation and getting this error

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try doing this:

vSphere Client -> ESX/vCenter -> Left-click on the ESX server -> Configuration -> Advanced Settings -> Vmkernel -> vmkernel.boot.usenumainfo -> uncheck (this may require a reboot if it doesnt take effect right away)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you try add this to your ESX kernel "'numa=off" in /boot/grub/grub.conf and reboot.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
gagan213
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply

but still im getting same message after adding numa=off in grub.conf

0 Kudos
swiftangelus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same issue here with ESX 4 U1 running in Workstation. Was not there when using ESX 4.

Does not seem to stop it working though...

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try doing this:

vSphere Client -> ESX/vCenter -> Left-click on the ESX server -> Configuration -> Advanced Settings -> Vmkernel -> vmkernel.boot.usenumainfo -> uncheck (this may require a reboot if it doesnt take effect right away)

0 Kudos
gagan213
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks. im not getting that message again.

0 Kudos
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm also getting this error on a newly rebuilt host using the ESX 4.0 Update 1 iso (build 208167). On all other hosts using previous 4.0 iso's this has never come up. Does anyone know what specifically this error is referring to or why it's coming up now?

Thanks, Nick

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

this is kind of work around does anybody know what this error is allabt

0 Kudos
gpolen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this article on Dell's site. It might shed some light on it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/eslvmwre/VS/AdditionalDocs/releasenotes/releasenotes....

-Polen

0 Kudos
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Polen,

Those release notes completely answered my question. I hadn't mentioned it before but my error is happening on Dell hardware. Seems strange that a big red error can be safely ignored but the workaround posted earlier takes care of that. I'm also surprised that searching Dell's site didn't find that article but after digging for a bit I found where that PDF was kept. Thanks for the reply.

Nick

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just so you know, this also happens on my HP DL580 G4. I was wondering whether or not it was in relation with the fact that this server, using Intel Xeon 7130M CPUs does not support EVC.

0 Kudos
baddri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks......the solution given by dmadden works fine.

0 Kudos
singh_padam123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi I got he dhcp IP address on my esx 4.0 U2 but the same is not pinging with my desktop pc. I have installed esx on workstation.

my workstation vlan ip address is 192.168.168.1 and 192.168.132.1  from esx worksation vllan ip are pingable.

0 Kudos