VMware Cloud Community
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 8 Release preview and vShere 5 client issue?

Hi,

I have installed the Windows 8 Release preview (x64).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/release-preview

And I am having trouble getting the VMWare ESXi client to work.

When I try to remote control a virtual machine i get the error:

The VMRC Console has disconnected.. Attempting to re-connect.

I have tried various compatibility settings and it still does not work

BTW: I have patched my vmware so it is running ESXi 5.0.0 Build 702118.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ward.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you tell us what the vmware.log is saying about it??

0 Kudos
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Here is an upload of the log file. Btw: I disabled the firewall and windows defender and I connect to this via IP address:

Thanks,

Ward.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi, thank you for provding the log collected from the vi client. I wanted to confirm the behavior from the vmware.log which is available at </Pathto/VMFolder/vmware.log> something like /vmfs/volumes/datastore/VM/vmware.log

However, from the viclient,

<item>Vmomi.VirtualMachine.summary.runtime.numMksConnections</item>
        <item>Vmomi.VirtualMachine.summary.runtime.question</item>
        <item>Vmomi.VirtualMachine.summary.config.ftInfo.role</item>
        <item>Vmomi.VirtualMachine.capability.settingScreenResolutionSupported</item>
      </PathSet>
    </item>

I am able to confirm that the VM has been triggered a valid MKs session from the server side. Do let us know, what the vmware.log says about the mks connection

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also, try to close the vi client in your desktop and after that look for any vmrc process that are still running. Kill those process by End Process tree. Try again opening the console of the VMs.

Also, do check if there are multiple vmrc sessions getting opened when you are opening only one console of a VM. If so try to kill the vmrc process one by one to find out the culprit

0 Kudos
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It does look like there are vmware-vmrc.exe processes lying around. So if I lauch the vmware client and exit strait away then
vmware-vmrc.exe sits in the process list.

If I try to connect multiple times to different VM's there is only one instance of vmware-vmrc.exe so new ones are not created.

If I go in and out of the vmware client multiple times then multpile instances of vmware-vmrc.exe are created.

So the kill process tree makes no difference. So in short the vmware client is not killing of the vmware-vmrc.exe process.

I have also uploaded the vmware.logs from the server (from the datastore).

Thanks,

Ward.

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone had any success getting past the "The VMRC console has  disconnected...attempting to reconnect" error when you run vSphere Client on Windows 8 Release preview ?

I sure am looking forward to this beening fixed, as I know it will at sometime in the furture, hopefully before Windows 8 is released.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

try to close the vi client in your desktop and after that look for any vmrc process that are still running. Kill those process by End Process tree. Try again opening the console of the VMs.

Also, do check if there are multiple vmrc sessions getting opened when you are opening only one console of a VM. If so try to kill the vmrc process one by one to find out the culprit

Also, reinstalling the vsphere client served me right on multiple occasions :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

I have built two Windows 8 Release Preview workstations, in to different company locations (i.e. different ESXi servers), both have the issue with the "The VMRC console has  disconnected...attempting to reconnect" error.

I have rebooted the Windows 8 workstation which I presume would "kill any vmrc processes", not that there were any.

I have also restarted the server but the connection error still exists.

I have tried reinstalling the vSphere Client (VMware-Viclient-all-5.0.0-455964) but this does not resolve the issue either.

I have seen some postings that suggest the issue is with compatiblility with IE 10.  I suggest the issue is with dot net as Windows 8 only has dot net 4.

zXi_Gamer are you successfully running vSphere Client (VMware-Viclient-all-5.0.0-455964) on a Windows 8 Release Preview workstation ?   I had the vSphere Client running perfectly on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

I believe that this issue is related to Windows 8 Release Preview having only .NET Framework 4 and will not install .NET Framework 3.x or 2.x

It seems that .NET framework updates have broken vSphere Client in the past and I am guessing that this is true in the case of Wnidows 8

http://d3planet.com/rtfb/2009/10/05/get-the-vsphere-client-running-on-windows-7/

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100409...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102261...

You cannot use vSphere Clients prior to the Update 1 to access the vCenter Server or ESX hosts because of a Microsoft update that targets the .NET Framework released on June 9th 2010. For more information, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 980773.

Has anyone managed to get vSphere Client 5.0 to work on Windows 8 Release Preview?

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

Issue: "The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect"'

From suggestions provided by others, I have tired the following;

Install .NET 3.5 like this -- run an elevated command prompt (WIN+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin), then type

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

where D is the DVD of Windows 8 (or mounted ISO).

Right click the vsphere client exe and choose Properties

Choose the Compatibility tab

Tick Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 7

Tick Run this program as an administrator

Click OK

While the above does install VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-455964.exe when I run the vSphere Client and attempt to open up a console window I am still getting the error message "The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect".

For installing .NET 3.x see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

If you are using Windows 8 Release Preview Build workstation to run VMware-Viclient  (i.e. vSphere Client), then please post here and tell me if you can open a console window to a running VM without any issues.

0 Kudos
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for everybody who has contributed.

vm_George I can confirm the error does happen with  the Windows 8 Release preview.

Here is the exact steps I did.

1. Installed Windows 8 x86 Release preview.

2. Ran the command: Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

3. Installed the VMWare client chosing the Windows 7 compatibility mode.

4. Logged into the Vmware client and tried to remote control the a VM and got the error:

"The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect"'

Thanks,

Ward.

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

Someone was kind enough to email me  the statement "vm_George I can confirm the error does happen with  the Windows 8 Release preview."

0 Kudos
sollerton
Contributor
Contributor

I can also confirm that this issue still occurs with the RTM build also.

Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
god43
Contributor
Contributor

can anyone check to see if the problem is fixed with VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-804277.exe, it was released last week. i would check myself, but i cant download it (free license).

0 Kudos
FSBJ
Contributor
Contributor

VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-804277.exe has the same issue on Win8 RTM.

Looks like VMware has their work cut out for them.

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  where do you find VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-804277.exe ?

When I connect to the ESXi server using a web browser, the version that is downloaded by download link is VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-455964.exe which fails.

0 Kudos
agallagh42
Contributor
Contributor

VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-804277 is available from the download page of "VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1b", which itself was just an update for issues when using vCenter with an Oracle database.  I assume if you update vCenter to update 1b, it will provide that client version when you connect to it with a browser.

I can also confirm that it does not correct the issue.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check this blog with solution of installation vSphere Clinet in Windows 8 RTM and see if it helps

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
god43
Contributor
Contributor

no still the same issue.

0 Kudos