I know installing VMware's WDDM driver in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video will fix slow mouse problems normally and it does.
I've installed this into a VM and converting this VM to a template, I've deployed other VMs from it.
Every VM that I deploy has the slow mouse problem again. If I check the Display Adapter in the device manager it is still using the VMware WDDM driver but the mouse cursor is slow again.
I heard uninstalling VMware tools and reinstalling and reinstall WDDM driver will fix the problem. I don't want to have to do this though. How can I fix this so when I deploy VMs from my template, the mouse cursor stays quick.
vmware tools is ok ?
hardware acceleration set full ?
set the Video RAM to 32MB ok ?
make sure your template is using the VMware Pointing Device as well. Sysprep should not change these drviers assuming you are deploying off a template with the VMware Tools installed and current.
The VMware Pointing Device driver definitely fixes the issue. I'm using VMware Pointing Device driver before sysprep. Somewhere in there it is deciding to go back to the standard pointing device which is causing the issue. I'm investigating it now.
one thing you may look at on your template is to ensure all "greyed" out hardware is removed. There may be a hidden mouse driver causing problems.
This issue is definitely caused by sysprep. Before I sysprep I am using the VMware Pointing Device driver, after I sysprep, it reverts back to PS/2 Compatible Mouse.
What can be causing this?
we have about 100 W2K8 R2 guests in our inventory and have not seen this behavior. We sysprep all of them. Have you confirmed through device manager there are no hidden drivers for the mouse? Remember getting to device manager and viewing the hidden devices properly, you must run all the commands listed above from a command prompt.
With that said, we are running 4.1. What version of ESX(i) are you running?
I can confirm. I have the same problem after sysprep of Windows 2008 R2. ESX Build 381591 if that matters.
sysprep.exe /generalize /unattend:unattend.xml /oobe /reboot
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:d:\install.wim#Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERSTANDARD" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
I've just been running a VMtools repair after deployment, but that's annoying.
I rebuilt my templates from scratch and the issue has gone away. The only real difference that I could think of is before I installed any windows patches, I installed SP1 for Server 2K8R2, then I proceeded to install any other patches.
I proceeded to shut the VM down, then converted VM to template. I've deployed VMs from it and issue is gone.