VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Win 8.1 network stops working

Anyone else having problems with Windows 8.1 and (potentially) Windows 10 guests whose network just stops working for no reason? Seems to be happening more and more often and it only seems to affect these two OSes. Maybe affecting more but so far I've only noticed these two OSes.

They are running on hosts with 6.0U1a (3073146) and the version of vmware tools that's bundled with that ESXi version although I'm pretty sure I've seen the problem on at least one vm that had an older version of tools from 5.5.

All vms are running vmxnet3 adapters. Reboot always solves the problem.

I have no idea how to reproduce it yet or if/when it may occur. Am I alone or anyone else seeing this problem?

3 Replies
darrenoid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello FreddyFredFred,

I am also seeing this issue since we upgraded to vsphere 6. Here is a description of our issue:

1. The problem is after a while of being idle, the VMs lose all network connectivity. Cannot ping the default gateway, cannot ping other machines on the same subnet, even if they are on the same vsphere host.
  2. This is a vsphere 6 environment
  3. All our VMs use the VMXNET3 Adapter
  4. The issue happens to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 only. We also have Server 2012 R2, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 VMS that have never hit the issue
  5. This happens even on the latest version of VMWare tools 10.0.8
  6. This happens to VMs that are on a host with only one 10Gig adapter, leading me to believe the issue is not caused by teaming or failover
  7. The issue happened to a VM provisioned from a source ISO with no additional software or customization and from multiple different VMWare templates
  8. A simple reboot fixes the issue
  9. Occasionally after a reboot the VM will bluescreen with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

I have had a ticket open with VMWare about this for a month now without any progress. Were you able to find anything more on this issue?

Regard,

Darrenoid

0 Kudos
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

After much testing (and probably some dumb luck) I found the issue in my environment was being caused by IPv6. Still have no idea what in my environment is triggering the issue but at least I can work around it.

As soon as a Windows 8.1 or 10 VM got 9 or 10 IPv6 addresses, the network would die. You could easily see the number of IPs in vmware client or within the VM if you did ipconfig /all. Within windows you would see a bunch of temporary addresses which weren't being released properly. I tried a VM with 2 nics to see if it was 10 IPs total but no, it was really 10 ips per nic.

The conditions under which the problem would happen:

Winddows 8.1/10

VMXNET 3

Distributed switch

(and probably ESXi 6 since or distributed switch version 6 since i didn't have issue in 5.5)

If any one of those would change, the problem wouldn't happen even though the the VM still picked up 10 IPs. I still believe this is a vmware issue (since you need vmxnet3 and distributed switches to trigger the issue).

There are a number of workarounds ( the last one was provided by vmware):

1) Disable IPv6 (just uncheck it under network and settings)

2) Change vmxnet3 to e1000 (probably e1000e is also ok)

3) Move the VM from a distributed switch to standard switch

4) Run these two commands to stop windows from picking up more of those temporary IPv6 addresses:

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disable

In the end I added a step to my VM provisioning workflow to run the commands in #4. This allowed me to keep my distributed switch, vmxnet3 and IPv6 enabled. Haven't seen the problem in a while since using the fix.

Edit: In my case those extra IPs were being picked up about 1 every 6 to 8 hours or so. It would take about 4-5 days before a VM had the 9-10 IPv6 addresses and would stop responding.

darrenoid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for responding FreddyFredFred,

I think we have the exact same issue. We also use ipv6 and were wondering if the many temporary IPv6 addresses were a symptom or a cause. I will try the netsh commands you posted and see if the issue happens again.

FYI, not sure if it matters, but we are using HP switches for our ipv6 router.

Regards,

Darrenoid

0 Kudos