VMware Cloud Community
brianellis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VT - Not Functional - Intel S5000PSL

I have a Intel Server Chassis SC5400BRP with a Intel S5000PSL motherboard. ESXi 4.1 is now installed on the system and when I attempt to start a VM installation for any type of 64bit OS I get the following error:

"Virtual Machine Message: msg.cpuid.noLongmodeQuestionfmt: This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host is VT-capable, but VT is diabled"

I have ran the Intel Assistant CD on the server to verify its running the latest bios firmware. I power cycled the server thereafter and it is still not functional. Intel VT is enabled in the BIOS as well.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what series processor are you running?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

Work through this troubleshooting document: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8978

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what series processor are you running?

0 Kudos
brianellis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I will check this document out.

0 Kudos
brianellis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Processor is Intel Xeon E5335

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just checked on the Intel web site.

Make sure you enabled VT-x , there's another setting VT-d which is also interesting but not the one needed for 64-bit guests. While you are changing BIOS settings, you may also want to enable the "No Execute Disable" option.

André

0 Kudos
brianellis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is functional now. I had to physically unplug the servers power cables, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in for the VT bit to get set. VM hosts are coming online again.

Thank you all for your swift input.

0 Kudos
JesperUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry if this is not exactly on topic. Do you boot esxi of the onboard SATA controller? I'm asking as I may make a second hand purchase for one of these boards.

Kind regards

Jesper

0 Kudos