VMware Cloud Community
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 6.5 Installation fails with Error

Dear Community,

Please bare with me, for I am new to hypervisor operation(s). As such, I may make simple mistakes along the way. I purchased a Dell Precision T7500 from a 3rd party recently, with the following specifications:

• CPU :: (1x6crs.) Intel Xeon X5650
  • RAM :: (6x2GB) 12GB DDR3

NOTE :: 3 active memory channels

• GPU :: (1x) nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

(1x) nVIDIA GeForce GT 520

• SFX :: (1x) Creative 'SoundBlaster' Audigy 2
  • STR :: (1x) 4TB HDD

(1x) 500GB HDD

(1x) 320GB HDD

In addition to this, I should be receiving a CPU/RAM riser and a 2nd (identical) CPU in the mail in a few days/weeks. In that case, I'll have 2 of the same CPU in this workstation instead of one - and that will be the only thing changing. During the installation, I attempted to install ESXi to the 4TB HDD, to no avail. Here is a video of how my installation went:

ESXi Install Attempt :: Part I - YouTube

The final error that I arrive at is:

• Unable to successfully execute 'tryFormatDevice' after 3 tries

I've searched across Google, and have only arrived at one possible solution:

Expand the LUN (size?) from 8GB to 16GB.

Possibly related topic: ESX 6.5 is unable to format a partition when installing on iSCSI.

But, how does one expand/extend LUN? Is it in BIOS? Is it something that must be performed in the installer? Please help.

27 Replies
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just logged in, successfully, through the web browser. Sadly, the vSphere Client (desktop application) wasn't able to login. So, I guess I'll stick to the browser for now. The UI is a bit laggy at times, and doesn't like to load (quickly). I'll have that fixed as soon as it's activated (hopefully)...

0 Kudos
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Okay - I can log in to the ESXi server now. Which means I can begin creating virtual machines. And I can login successfully via the web browser. Now I need to setup vCenter - which requires Windows Server (can't be run from my laptop - Smiley Sad). The bad part is, I have a vCenter key waiting for use (already activated ESXi - Enterprise+ for both). I'll need to decide on whether to bring the other tower back to life or not (in which case, VM-inception ensues)...

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't need a Windows VM to run vCenter. In fact, don't even do that. Use the Linux-based appliance, which deploys as a VM anyway, and put it on your ESXi host.

TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would certainly like to do that. However, I am actually having some difficulty finding where to download the appliance from. I'll keep digging/searching through vmware's website, but if you happen to have the link/URL, that would help a lot :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Okay, I now have an entirely different issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/8ms8s1/esxi_beginner_trying_to_get_pci_passthrough/

I'll repost it here if I have the time this week...

0 Kudos
zweiandlen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When i enable 'Drive Write Cache' in BIOS,it is work。not 9%,not 'tryFormatDevice' after 3 tries

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Server

VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-5310538-HPE-650.10.1.5.20-Oct2017

批注 2019-01-17 235419.jpg

TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

While I am currently not in my ESXi season (currently planning out a future hardware upgrade), I will take this into account in my next go at it! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
rlund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I generally recommend installing to a 16gb usb drive for a white box server or workstation. Otherwise grab a small ssd for cheap on amazon.

Roger Lund Minnesota VMUG leader Blogger VMware and IT Evangelist My Blog: http://itblog.rogerlund.net & http://www.vbrainstorm.com
0 Kudos