VMware Cloud Community
Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi 5.0 or higher need for a virtualized Video conferencing solution Help

Given the kind of requirements below…...

Can I just install only the free base hypervisor i.e

ESXi 5.5

on the 6 different servers.

Without the need to purchase other products i.e V Center, essential kits etc

Product

VMWare Requirements

VidyoPortal Virtual Edition with 1000 soft clients

Hypervisor

VMWare® ESXi 5.0 or higher

vRAM

8 GB

vCPU

vDisk

500 GB

Reservation

Not Required

VidyoRouter Virtual Edition license - 25 concurrent connections

Hypervisor

vRAM

4 GB

vCPU

vDisk

20 GB

Reservation

9 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM

VidyoRouter Virtual Edition license - 100 concurrent connections

Hypervisor

vRAM

8 GB

vCPU

vDisk

20 GB

Reservation

18 GHz CPU, 5 GB RAM

VidyoGateway Virtual Edition - 5 concurrent HD connections

Hypervisor

vRAM

8 GB

vCPU

vDisk

1. 4.1 GB

Reservation

22 GHz CPU, 6 GB RAM

0 Kudos
14 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

no you can't use the free ESXi edition, since your last product "VidyoGateway Virtual Edition" requires 22 vCPUs.

The free ESXi edition is limited to 8 vCPUs per VM.

Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much Tim.

So technically I can have have the products that require only the 8 vcpu on the free ESXi,

and only pay for a package to run the Gateway that needs 22 vcpu right?

In that instance what VMWare package/product do u recommend…..

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Yes you can do that.

What server hardware do you have?

The cheapest would be the Essentials kit, which comes with licenses for 3 host servers, but only for 2 CPUs per server. So to create a VM with 22 vCPUs on it, your two CPUs on the host would need to have 12 Cores each.

0 Kudos
Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

I Really appreciate your help.

This is the available hardware infrastructure

- 8CPUs each CPU with 4Cores per blade server

- 8GB RAM per blade server

- 8GHz per blade server

- 146 GB hard Disk per blade server

- 5 Blade servers

on Ubuntu server 14.04 LTS

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Ntulume wrote:

I Really appreciate your help.

This is the available hardware infrastructure

- 8CPUs each CPU with 4Cores per blade server

What do you mean by that? I don't think you mean 8CPUs per blade?

Did you mean 2 sockets with 4 cores each, so 2 physical cpu sockets per blade, 8 cores total per blade?

0 Kudos
Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Tim

Iam positive

Each Blade server has 8 CPU's and 4 cores thus a total of 32 cores per blade

and total of 5 blade servers

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

32 cores and only 8GB RAM per blade? Crazy mix Smiley Wink

You can't use the essentials kit then.

Then the cheapest license would be the vSphere standard license, which is licensed per socket, so you would need 8 licenses for only one blade...

I think you should really calculate the costs of VMware vs the costs of using your Application as hardware appliance, since you would invest into VMware, without getting any benefit from it like High availability, etc. just to run your software.

0 Kudos
Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Tim,

Thanks so much

Yap you have hit the nail on the head.

Client has put us in the corner and I am trying to to get the lowest cost solution to solve a possible challenge

The short story is, client has bought our video conferencing (software only) solution, and we have to install it into his hardware…(as per the specs)

Thus my need for the cheapest or no cost VMWare ESXi 5.0 or higher hypervisor solution, so I can just run the software on the current clients infrastructure that has no Hypervisor.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

As said, the problem is the 22 vCPU thing.

List price according to store.vmware.com for a vSphere 5 standard license including 1 year support is 1895,66 USD per CPU.

So you will need this times eight for one blade. And you will pay for many features that you can't even use with a standalone licensed ESXi host.

Tim

0 Kudos
Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

Tim,

I can't thank you enough

Let me trial the vSphere 5 standard for the 60 days and see how the system works...

At least I am getting the other machines VMware free atleast ….

Regarding the 22 vcpu VM…… putting it on  a 32 cores server shall be sufficient right?

Meaning I have a "bonus" 10cores right?

Lastly please drop me an email on

kenneth@glamourimagesug.com

(in case you can agree to remote assistance  and we agree on terms please).

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Well, since 1 vCPU is mapped to 1 logical core, your 10 extra cores on the server just won't be used.

So you could run another VM on it Smiley Wink

I can't remote assist you, as we probably live in different time zones and I like my sleep Smiley Wink

Tim

0 Kudos
Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Tim

hehehehehehehe at "loving your sleep", don't we do all!! hehehehehehe :smileylaugh:

If push comes to shove, I will have to loose mine definitely:smileylaugh:.

Whatever  the outcome you have been of so much help

Massive massive

1. Please kindly confirm that I can network the machines on the "free" V-sphere ESXi 5.0+ and i can put them on-line, give them IP addresses/FQDN for access, as routers for video conferencing

2. I am trying to down load the  V Sphere standard……which one is it the V-center server with operations management …..and will it run the particular machine that will require the 22 vcpu?

and can i trial it on all the servers i.e a total of 40 cores? for the 60 days?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Ntulume wrote:

1. Please kindly confirm that I can network the machines on the "free" V-sphere ESXi 5.0+ and i can put them on-line, give them IP addresses/FQDN for access, as routers for video conferencing

Sure, just register at www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi  and you will get a license key for the free hypervisor.

The networking functionality is fully given.

2. I am trying to down load the  V Sphere standard……which one is it the V-center server with operations management …..and will it run the particular machine that will require the 22 vcpu?

and can i trial it on all the servers i.e a total of 40 cores? for the 60 days?

Download the normal vSphere ESXi, without the operations management, as you won't use the operations management anywas.

I didn't get what you wanted with the vCenter Server? The vCenter server is for centralised management of the ESXi host servers.

But you can't add the free hypervisor to vCenter.

During the 60 days evaluation period your ESXi host gets all licensed features as if you were using the Enterprise Plus license.

https://my.vmware.com/de/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_5

Ntulume
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much Tim.

I should start the installations next week, will let you know how it has worked.

Ken

0 Kudos