VMware Cloud Community
SirHaschke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Concerter -> Linux VM Error

Hello,
i try to migrate via VMWare Converter 5.5.2 a Linux VM (SLES 11) from Citrix XenServer to VMWare Esxi 5.5.
I can install the Agent but after 1 % i get this error:

Error: event.ObtainHelperVmIpFailedEvent.summary

What can i do?

At the attachment is the log of the job.

Thanks

Dennis

0 Kudos
7 Replies
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

Try this KB: VMware KB: vCenter Converter fails to import machine at 1%

Remeber that agent must communicate to vcenter and esxi host (also resolve vcenter and esxi host via fdqn).

Regards

Lino

0 Kudos
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

Please have a look here :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203320...

VMware KB: VMware vCenter Converter Standalone fails with the error: Vmacore::TimeoutException(Opera...

Can you try providing a static IP address and also increasing the memory?

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How did you configure the "Helper VM network configuration" settings in the Converter Wizard?

André

0 Kudos
SirHaschke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahhh, automatic.

But we don't use DHCP, only static IP.

Must i enter there the correct IP?

0 Kudos
SirHaschke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK.
I do the network settings in the "Helper VM network configuration" section.
Then i get this error at 3 %:

FAILED: Ein allgemeiner Systemfehler ist aufgetreten:
Network error. Host 10.22.156.10 key can't be retrieved. (return code 2)

Log is in the attachment.

0 Kudos
mathan2012
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Please try below 2 solutions.

Solution - 1

Some Linux operating system distributions install a Xen Linux kernel by default (such as RHEL 5, CentOS 5, Oracle Enterprise Linux and Fedora Core 7 and higher). In these cases, deselect the Virtualization option during the installation of these operating systems. Disabling the Virtualization option ensures that a supported kernel is installed.

If the guest operating system is already installed, choose the right kernel from the GRUB prompt to boot into the non-virtualization kernel.

Alternatively, if you are familiar with editing the menu.lst file, you can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to comment the Virtualization kernel from booting.

Note: Take a backup of menu.lst file before editing, In-appropriate edit may cause the OS to corrupt. For more information on how to edit boot options in menu.lst, see your Linux distribution documentation.

VMware KB: Xen Linux kernels are unsupported

Background:
The conversion of a Linux server to a VMware virtual machine is initiated by powering up the target virtual machine with the Converter helper bootable CD.
It will serve as the Converter helper server, which receives the data from the Converter helper agent running on the source Linux server and writes it away in the VMware virtual machine. The Converter helper CD is connected as an ISO image (converter-helper-vm.iso) to the target virtual machine.

The Convert helper CD isn’t used by a conversion of a Windows operating system, the data received from the Converter helper agent is directly written by the VMware Converter to the VMware ESX(i) server hosting the target virtual machine.

S. Mathana Gopal.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether I interpret the logs correctly. However, to me it looks like the configured Helper VM IP address is the same as the one of the ESXi host!? The Helper VM requires its own unique IP address.

André

0 Kudos