VMware Cloud Community
ja5e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

V2V of NT4 (SP6) server - ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.0

Hey all,

First time poster, so go easy on me! Smiley Happy

I'm performing a number of V2V migration using standalone convertor 4.1 from an old ESX 3.5 cluster sat on HP BL585s to a ESX 4.0 cluster on HP BL680 G5s.

I have a single VM left to move across.  It's an old NT4 domain controller.

Can anyone give me any ideas of any potential pitfalls?  I know i'm going to have to move it over with standalone convertor 3.03 (can this be installed alongside 4.1 on the same machine?).  What's the best practice regarding hardware version (update or keep on 4?), changing the NIC (use an E1000, or will it take a vnxnet NIC?)?

Also, will i run into any other issues with regard the hardware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

First time poster, so go easy on me!

That's no excuse Smiley Wink

I assume you don't have any snapshots on this VM!? In this case, don't use the converter, but just power off the VM and use e.g. Veeam's FastSCP to copy the virtual machine's folder from the old host to the new one. Then add the VM to the inventory.

Once done, you can decide whether to update the VMware Tools and the virtual hardware. Personally I would probably only update the tools on NT to keep it easy. Upgrading the hardware will most likely require some additional work, like installing SP6 again, ...

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

First time poster, so go easy on me!

That's no excuse Smiley Wink

I assume you don't have any snapshots on this VM!? In this case, don't use the converter, but just power off the VM and use e.g. Veeam's FastSCP to copy the virtual machine's folder from the old host to the new one. Then add the VM to the inventory.

Once done, you can decide whether to update the VMware Tools and the virtual hardware. Personally I would probably only update the tools on NT to keep it easy. Upgrading the hardware will most likely require some additional work, like installing SP6 again, ...

André

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree with André.

Copy the VM files in the new environment. vSphere can run also old VMs format.

Than take a backup and after that try upgrading VMware Tools.

If it works you can consider to upgrade also virtual hardware.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I had to do something similar at one of the companies I worked at.  I did exactly what was stated above.  I didn't worry about upgrading anything since we were eventually moving things off of those VMs onto newer platforms.

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

+1 i have used to above methods and it's far the easiest method. i wish you all the best ..

0 Kudos
ja5e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone.  I'll take the Veeam route.

cheers again.

0 Kudos