VMware Cloud Community
connorxxl
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to ESXi 6.5, installer doesn't find USB stick

Dear all,

I'm currently running an ESXi 6.0 Update2 on a USB stick, with  a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard (internal USB connector, also tried external connector). Last night I tried to update this server to ESXi 6.5, without success. The ESXi 6.5 installer sees all hard disks connected, but not the USB stick I'd like to upgrade. I tried a refresh (F5), without any success.

Anyone else having this problem? I've loaded the ESXi 6.5 installer via netbook/PXE (IPMI remote console/cd-rom doesn't work anymore due to Java issues).

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Chris

12 Replies
connorxxl
Contributor
Contributor

As an update I ran the 6.0.0 installer, and that one found the USB stick. Very weird.

Installed 6.5 now on an HDD.

0 Kudos
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This bit me bad.  I used VUM in VCSA 6.5 to upgrade a host not realizing it was installed on USB key.  Shouldn't be an issue, except VUM pushed the update package out and when it went to install it couldn't find the disk/etc. and ended with an error on some kickstart script blah blah.  When I booted off of the ISO directly (now that the host was infinitely looping on the VUM install) it showed no USB devices.  I installed on HDD but still, something that should be checked beforehand!  Had to set the host up manually.

0 Kudos
pgoggins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seeing the same issue when trying to upgrade a Gigabyte GA7-PESH1 from 6.0 Update 2 to 6.5.

----------------------------------------------------------- Blog @ http://www.liquidobject.com
0 Kudos
pgoggins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After some testing, the ISO/DVD installer does not work. However, the offline vib-based installer works just fine if you already have 6.0 installed.

esxcli software profile update --depot=/vmfs/volumes/<my datastore>/VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-depot.zip -p=ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-standard

reboot

----------------------------------------------------------- Blog @ http://www.liquidobject.com
BahoooAber
Contributor
Contributor

So, probably bunch of people has same issue. So, how can we install esxi 6.5 to usb stick. As I read, they change the USB driver method and they put only vmkusb driver instead of XHCI/EHCI/UHCI/OHCI.

But, there is no solution for that. They still say, first install it then disable it if you want. But there is nothing about how to disable it before installing.

Important information about the new ESXi 6.5 USB driver vmkusb, and the legacy USB drivers (2147650)...

0 Kudos
astr0ty
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed!

This method did the job - not a complete solution, but a nice and easy workaround!

0 Kudos
AlekseyMoscow
Contributor
Contributor

My story, may be help:

I have server ESXi6 with USB flash drive boot. I did upgrade through VUM to 6.5. On reboot had error: device naa.2**  can't be read.

On start clean install local USB flash drive not found.

I did run server, on ESXi boot menu did press "Shift+O", add "preferVmklinux=TRUE" to the end of string. After this upgrade was finished. Now a host normal boot from 4GB USB flash drive.

songtaoz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Chris,

If you still see this issue, provide logs such as vmkernel.log and ouput lsusb -v information will be help.

And if possible, provide the device information to get the right one on the market for inverstrigation will be best.

Thanks,

Songtao

0 Kudos
SimonTzvetanov
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much Alex,

I have similar situation. I tried to upgrade a server ESXi5.1 with internal 4GB USB connector to ESXi6.5. During the clean ESXi6.5 installation USB flash drive was not found.

I did the same as you suggested "on ESXi boot menu I did press "Shift+O", add "preferVmklinux=TRUE" to the end of string."

My ESXi6.5 is up and running.

Simon

Keydogg
Contributor
Contributor

You are an absolute life saver! I've been tearing my hair out with my 5.5>6.5 upgrade and this command fixed the upgrade perfectly. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, thanks Alex. That trick worked for me too!!

0 Kudos