VMware Cloud Community
RoyOoi5119
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to find a supported device to write the VMware ESXi 4.1.0 image to."

Hello. I am having issues installing ESXi 4.1.0. I am getting the error: "Unable to find a supported device to write the VMware ESXi 4.1.0 image to.". The system information is shows is:

System Information:

Manufacturer: Supermicro

Model: X9DRi-LN4+/X9DRi - LN4+

Service Tag: 1234567890

Bios Rev: American Megatrends Inc.

It's happen the same on vshere 5.0 as well.I did try to install with a Window 7 & server and it is running fine.

Kindly help

Roy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - It sounds like your disk controller is not supported by VMware - check the HCL to confirm the support for your components in your server - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
RoyOoi5119
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Wein,

But i had install the Esxi 5.0 just before and i wanted to reformat it then the error occur.

I m able to reformat the hdd with window cd but if i wantd to install a exsi 4.1 or 5.0 it seem like its does not able to recognise the HDD

Roy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that is the issue - it sees the existing windows file system - can you do a low level format fomr the disk controller and try again -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RoyOoi5119
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The issue happen before I install the window os

The hdd is installed by vshere 5.0 Before.i try to reformat it by vshere 4.1 or 5.0.its show fatal error or unable to detect the hdd as error above

After that I try to delete the and reformat the hdd by window os cd and its fine.but still I can't install a vshere inside the hdd

Roy

0 Kudos