VMware Cloud Community
ACDCDC
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to download Client Integration Plugin 6 for linux

Hi All,

I have a fresh install of vSphere 6 (latest everything as of time of writing, i.e. Sep. 24, 2015). When I try to access vSphere Web Client from a linux box (Chrome 45 on Ubuntu 15.04), the link to "Download Client Integration Plugin" (located in bottom-left corner), i.e. http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0.x86_64.bundle  returns File not found."

I cannot find it anywhere else. Any ideas?

--

Simon

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hello and Welcome to the community,

this is a known issue have a look at this KB for resolution:

VMware KB: After updating Google Chrome to version 45 or later, the vSphere Web Client Integration P...

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
ACDCDC
Contributor
Contributor

The mentioned KB article does not address the problem of broken/incorrect download link.

It offers links for Windows/Mac links, but not for Linux.

0 Kudos
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
ACDCDC
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I saw this article as well, thank you for reference. It doesn't give a working link to Client Integration Plugin for browser on Linux. Without this plugin I can use Web Client but a few options, described in the article (like OVF deployment) do not work.

My main concern is that "not found" situation is still there so it is confusing: does Vmware support web client running from Linux or it does not?

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hello Simon,

apologize for my misleading answer ... the truth is on MKBA side 😉

Historically Linux desktops weren't ever officially supported by VMware for managing vSphere environment through its vSphere clients.

With Web client arrival it is possible to engage this management tool if your Linux distribution has a browser with proper Adobe Flash plug-in installed.

Unfortunately it gets complicated because in the meantime Flash has become unsupported on Linux platform...

Luckily it is still possible to launch it on Linux if you have Google Chrome browser (with Pepper plugin) but thats all.

All the other advanced features which brings Client Integration Plugin are not accessible on Linux simply because CIP is not developed by VMware for Linux platform...

See this official statement:

VMware KB: Unable to open the vSphere Web Client 5.5 in a browser on a Linux-based desktop

Note: The following is not a supported configuration.

As per the Platform Support section of the Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes:

Adobe has been able to partner with Google in providing a "Pepper" implementation of Flash Player for all x86/64 platforms supported by the Google Chrome browser. Google now distributes this new Pepper-based Flash Player as part of Chrome on all platforms, including Linux.

To access the vSphere Web Client 5.5 on a Linux platform, use Google Chrome as Adobe Flash Player has been integrated into the Chrome browser. To download Google Chrome, go to the Google Chrome home page. 

Note: Client integration Plug-in is not available on this platform.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos