ESXi

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to delete datastore

• 1.  Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 04, 2011 10:52 PM

Hi,

I've just installed VMware EXSi on an onboard USB stick within a new HP Proliant MicroServer which comes with a 160GB SATA Drive.

The drive appears as datastore 1, VMFS, 1MB Block size.

I want to delete the datastore so I can re-add the datastore with a larger block size of 8MB. The reason for this is that the VM I will be loading on this drive is OpenFiler. I will be adding a second drive of 2TB so need the datastore 1 where the VM is located to have a block size of 8MB so I can create a disk of 2TB that OpenFIler will use for storage.

When I try to delet datastore 1 I get the following message:

"Call "HostDatastoreSystem.RemoveDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "192.168.1.50" failed."

I have tried renaming, maintenance mode, reboot, removing all files but with no luck.

Has anyone got any ideas what to try?

Cheers

Craig

• 2.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 04, 2011 11:01 PM

Welcome to the Communities.

You need to make sure all references to the datastore have been removed. Any reference to a Virtual Machine, to a CD etc.

• 3.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 04, 2011 11:03 PM

• 4.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 09:44 AM

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

After reading your suggestion I have deleted all my Virtual Machines from the inventory and also from the data store.

I still get the same message.

Do you have any other suggestions. I may re-install ESXi Hypervisor and try again if I have nothing else to try.

• 5.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 07:28 PM

Update...

I tried a re-installing ESXi Hypervisor and restting all of the configuration.  Upon re-boot and login via the VSpeher client shows:

datastore 1, 144.75 GB, file system VMFS, block size 1 MB

datastore 2, 1.82 TB, file system VMFS, block size 1MB

[See picture below]

I am unable to delete datastore 1, I still get the error message "Call "HostDatastoreSystem.RemoveDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "192.168.1.50" failed.

I can delete datastore 2 OK but not datastore1.  However if I physically remove the drive with datastore 1 on and re-boot after a fresh ESXi Hypervisor install I get the notification as shown below in the JPEG screen shot:

So I am stuck as to how to get this set-up with both datastores having an 8MB block size? Any advice?

• 6.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 07:35 PM

Not sure about the cause. However - as a workaround - since you already removed the drive, plug it to a PC, delete the VMFS partition and then plug it back to the ESXi host and create a new VMFS datastore.

André

• 7.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 08:06 PM

You might try using something like gparted to boot to and remove the VMFS partitions. Then rebuild from scratch.

• 8.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 10:27 PM

Thanks, this is a great tip and would have saved me hours. I'll definitely be using this in the future :smileyhappy:

• 9.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 10:26 PM

Thanks for the tip, this worked.

Summary:

Problem; an ESXi Hypervisor 4.1 fresh install uses 1Mb block size by default and puts files on the datastore1 preventing it from being deleted. The following three URLs refer to this:

http://blog.corneredge.com/2010/03/22/cant-delete-datastore-on-new-vmware-esxi-install-even-with-embedded-sdcard/

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012683

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1013210

My solution to this:

Remove VMFS partitions from datastore drives (SATA drives using an external program (I used an Open Suse boot CD to partition the drives)

Physically remove the drives

Install ESXi Hypervisor from Boot CD

Install to USB stick on motherboard

Let it reboot and you get to the following screen with a warning that drives are needed for datastores:

Shut down system

Power off

Physically install drives that you want 8MB block size

Power on server and let ESXi Hypervisor start

You should then see or be able to add the drives with 8MB block size, see below.... both drives now with 8MB block size. This allows me to put VMs on datastore1 and then use datastore2 for storage upto 2TB allowed with the 8MB block size and no longer limited to a drive of 256GB.

Thanks to all for your help in solving this! Phew !

• 10.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 10:34 PM

You are welcome and thanks for the detailed feedback.

André

• 11.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 11:43 PM

Many thanks, this is very useful to know.

May I ask did you take advantage of the cash back deals with the Microservers?

What is your experience so far, other than this problem?

Regards

• 12.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 05, 2011 11:57 PM

I'm just starting with VMWare ESXi Hypervisor and a small home sever.

In the UK the server from HP comes with £100 cash back until the end of January making it very cheap. I purchased from www.serversplus.com<http://www.serversplus.com>; making is sub £100 ex VAT but then you need to add a DVD drive, extra memory, and disk. So far very impressed for the price, very small, quiet and does the job of a server well. I plan to use it for a storage (openfiler), CCTV (zoneminder) and to run a RedHat Linux virtual machine for work related testing..... all as VMs in ESXi.

• 13.  RE: Unable to delete datastore

Posted Jan 06, 2011 12:00 AM

Nice - I take it we are both Techhead readers.

http://www.techhead.co.uk/hot-deals

I am planning on re-visiting my home lab later this year.

My problem is I would like to do more high end stuff - HA and DRS and I don't think the processor on the MicroServer is suitable for that.

Still might buy one though - that is a great price!

Thanks again

James