VMware Cloud Community
dsgcobra
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to VMotion - machine is not configured according to rules specified

I have patched 2 of my ESXi5.1 servers to build 2000251 from 799733 and now when i try to VMotion one of the servers from the older build to the newer build i get the following error

This virtual machine is not configured according to rules specified in /etc/vmware/configrules.

Invalid value "FS1_2-rdm.vmdk" for configuration key "scsi0:3.fileName". The value was rejected by rule "Virtual SCSI Devices".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is a file in ESX called: /etc/vmware/configrules that specifies (in regular expression format) rules for which devices can be attached, where they can be attached from, etc. By default, I believe that this file only allows virtual SCSI devices to come from a path beginning with /vmfs. Since your path begins with /disk2, you either have to add another configrule or edit the existing one to allow /disk2 in addition to /vmfs..

Let me know if that works for you..

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a guess. The value in the VM's configuration file shouldn't be "FS1_2-rdm.vmdk", but s.th. like "FS1_2.vmdk"!?

Can you confirm that the virtual disk with this name exists in the VM's configuration (.vmx) file and that the virtual disk is active, i.e. connected to "scsi0:3"? In doubt, please attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
dsgcobra
Contributor
Contributor

I think i just found the section inside the configrules file

# Virtual SCSI devices can point to VMFS volume or raw device.

rule "Virtual SCSI Devices"

# Reject disk names that end in "-flat.vmdk" (PR 1074254).

reject suffix_case "-flat.vmdk"

reject suffix_case "-rdm.vmdk"

reject suffix_case "-rdmp.vmdk"

if I remove the line that says "reject suffix_case "-rdm.vmdk"" I should be OK

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't recommend it. A virtual disk file with this name is a mapping file and should never be referenced in the VM's configuration. What needs to be there is the metadata .vmdk file.

André

0 Kudos