VMware Cloud Community
MarinKostov
Contributor
Contributor

The operation is not allowed in the current connection state of the host...

Hello, People Smiley Happy

Everytime I try to power off and then on a VM running on the host I receive the following error:

The operation is not allowed in the current connection state of the host.

I am managing the host with vCSA 5, and the host runs ESXi5.

I see this is common issue and I resolve it by restarting the vCSA. But it is very annoying to do that everytime I start up the host.

Is there any more permanent solution?

Thank you Smiley Happy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To confirm its a VC issue, check whats the behavior when you connect to the host directly through vSpere client?

0 Kudos
MarinKostov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

I have tried now to power off and on a VM trough the vCenter Server and the error is not popping up. Next time if it happens I will try your suggestion.

Since all VMs and the vCSA are running on the same host is there any requirement or recommendation for startup order and delays? I’ve set up the vCSA to power on first, then after about 4 minutes the other VMs will power up. I think all “clients” should be started up after the server since they might need configuration data and other things from the server.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thats perfect. Start VC first and rest of the VMs later.

0 Kudos
MarinKostov
Contributor
Contributor

OK, So I've tried to power off one VM trough the vCenter Server and power it on again - error message appeared.

I am able to power on the VM from the vSphere Client directly logged to the ESXi host and not the the Server.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ok. So its an issue with the appliance. Whats the time interval between power off and power on?

Give a delay of 5 sec before starting the VM after powering off, coz vpxa may take a bit more time to update the client compare to the direct connection to host. Still if the error pops up its good to contact VMware support with the logs.

0 Kudos