VMware Cloud Community
Ivy2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange issue of the Vmware ESXi 6.5 web page password

The problem is gone while I am writing this article. But I want to share the experience.

Every time I need to edit virtual machine's network settings, it shows the memory is minus something and I have to refresh the webpage to edit the settings. I figured it might be the browser issue, I change it from Firefox to Edge. I don't recall my password when I need to sign in the Edge browser. I can sign in from the Firefox. But I accidentally clear all the passwords when I try to see the password in Firefox's saved password. Now I am locked out.

I can SSH into the ESXi server and I can log in the console too. But no matter what I tried I can't log in to the webpage. I am sure my password is correct. I type it as a plain text in a notepad and copy/paste to avoid keyboard typing mistake.

Because some other reasons, I need to restart my computer. And then I can log in again.  I don't think my computer was blocked because I can keep trying and I got a username/password incorrect message. It doesn't look like I am blocked. And also I kept trying it, the blocking time should not be expired if there is a block.

The machine is in production environment and I was scared. I guess it's my computer problem but not the browser because I used two? It's strange.

7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's probably a bug with the HTML5 embedded host client. What version are you running on this ESXi host?

0 Kudos
Ivy2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you mean the ESXi version? It's 6.5.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, I mean the version of the embedded host client.

0 Kudos
Ivy2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry, I don't know how to see the version of the embedded host client. This is what  I found under Help - > About

Version:1.8.0

Build number:4516221

ESXi version:6.5.0

ESXi build number:4887370

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Version 1.8.0 is for the ESXi HTML5 embedded host client. But your build of ESXi is horrendously outdated and missing lots and lots of patches. So I have two recommendations to make to be performed in this order:

1. Fully patch your ESXi host to U2. For instructions on how to do that, please do a search. This has been covered ad nauseum.
  2. Update your ESXi embedded host client to the latest version of the Fling available here.

This should resolve your issues.

Ivy2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I will do it.

I am reading the vSphere Networking pdf document written by vmware I found from Google. I can't follow the instructions because I don't see many of the features in my esxi web client. I google and see some are "vmware vSphere Web Client" on the upper left corner of the page and mine is just "vmware ESXi". I am trying to add distributed switch but have no way to find it. My panel is so simple compare to those I google online.

Can you tell me if  I update the patch as you mention,  I will be able to use those features? Thank you again.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, those features require vCenter Server. You only have a standalone ESXi host, so installing updates/patches will not help. You must purchase vCenter.