VMware Cloud Community
vRayL
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot did not create <vm>-<number>-delta.vmdk files

Hi, I'm a newbie so please go easy on me...

vSphereClient 4.0.0 Build 258672
VMware vCenter Server 4.0.0 Build 258672

I created a VM with 3 virtual disks, 1 on datastore 'OS' the other 2 on datastore 'DATA'. Once the VM was fully installed I created a single snapshot. We have been working off the snapshot for a while and want to delete it now.

Based on KB1015180 I expected to find 3 files with names based on the <vm>-<number>-delta.vmdk convention. Looking at the VM Properties, I verify the Virtual Machine Working Location is the 'OS' datastore as expected. However there are no <vm>-<number>-delta.vmdk files there. None in the 'DATA' datastore either.

There are 3 files that follow the <vm>-<number>.vmdk convention in the 'OS' datastore as well as the <vm>.vmsd and <vm>Snapshot<number>.vmsn as mentioned in the KB.

These are the snapshot related files found in the 'OS' datastore:

vm.vmdk (Parent disk - 50GB)
vm-000001.vmdk (6.5GB)
vm_1-000001.vmdk (0.4GB)
vm_2-000001.vmdk (0.5GB)

vm.vmsd

vm-Snapshot4.vmsn

So, any ideas why there are no <vm>-<number>-delta.vmdk files?

Also, is there a size limit to the child disk(s) to be aware of for version 4.0.0 Build 258672 ?

Thanks to all that reply,

Ray

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the data files (...flat.vmdk and/or ...delta.vmdk) are not displayed in the datastore browser. You can only see them on the console or through ssh.

André

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Also, is there a size limit to the child disk(s) to be aware of for version 4.0.0 Build 258672 ?

I'm not sure what you are asking for!?  Can you please explain?

André

0 Kudos
vRayL
Contributor
Contributor

Hello André,
Either that was not covered in the install / configure / manage class that I completed last week or I just missed it. Anyway, thanks for the information! I'll have a look with ssh tomorrow.
Ray
0 Kudos
vRayL
Contributor
Contributor

André,

An instructor told us that older versions like mine can have problems deleting snapshots once they grow beyond 2GB. I think my single snapshot is now >7.4GB. Just wondering if I'm going to have a problem to delete this snapshot.
Ray
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not aware of a snapshot size issue. What VMware changed in ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 2 was the way snapshots are deleted/consolidated. With versions prior to Update 2 the "Delete All" function merged snapshots into their direct parents. With multiple snapshots this often caused disk space issues due to the amount of temporary additional disk space needed during snapshot consolidation. With Update 2 running "Delete All", all snapshots are merged directly into the base disk.

André

0 Kudos
vRayL
Contributor
Contributor

André,

Thanks for the follow-up. Very much appreciated. It makes for a great first experience on the forums!

Ray

0 Kudos