VMware Cloud Community
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Slow Mouse movement in Server 2008 R2 - Plz Help?

Hi guys,

I have installed ESX server 4.1 and have installed two virtual machines that is of "Windows XP" and "Windows Server 2008 R2". The problem was slow mouse movement in both virtual machines, but this problem is fixed on XP virtual machine by installingVmware Tools (ver: 8.3.2). But the problem is still same on Server 2008 R2 even i have installed vmware tools on this virutal machine too. But i dont know whats wrong? cursor movement is still very slow in server 2008 R2 and i am unable to continou my work on this machine..

Any Idea?

Your help will be much appriciated. Thanks ?:|

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcseitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

- set the Video RAM to 32MB

- Install the following driver for the Video-Card: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video

One reboot later the mouse will be working fine Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Marc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

what about the resources allocated for W2k8 R2 VM? i.e. CPU and Mem allocation?

Also i found a VMware KB which talks about some randon failure of W2k8 systems. MS have provided a hotfix for the same. probably you can try applying this fix and see if that resolves the hung state.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100657...

0 Kudos
marcseitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

- set the Video RAM to 32MB

- Install the following driver for the Video-Card: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video

One reboot later the mouse will be working fine Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Marc

0 Kudos
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for your replies.

and thanks marc for your helpful instructions...it helped me out and now its working normal. but i hope this vmware video driver will not mess up any other settings.

Thanks

0 Kudos
paskettj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this problem in Server 2008 R2. The VMWare Tools installation did not install the VMWare SVGA II Video Driver. I had a Vista VM working correctly and knowing Server 2008 and Vista are similar I did the following: went to the server 2008 box, Device Manager, Display Adapters, Update Driver Software, selected browse my computer for driver software and searched the Vista box. It found and installed the VMWare SVGA II Video Driver. Not sure why the VMWare tools didn't install but this fixed my slow/choppy video.

0 Kudos
Sharantyr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Updating the video driver made things a bit smoother, but it's still not perfect (aka like rdp session).

Updating the video RAM to 32 Mo didnt help

HW Accel to max ofc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
w6vms
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the VMWare tools installed, but there is no c:\program files\common files\vmware directory... what am I missing?

0 Kudos
w6vms
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Never mind... I was looking in Program Files (x86). My fault. Driver installed now.

0 Kudos
powadha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I noticed little to no improvement with installing the SVGAII driver. Without changing the mb's for the card I did get my mouse working perfect by installing the driver located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video. It shows as some 3D driver but results in a perfect performing vm.

0 Kudos
JohnWiles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

powadha, thanks for this post, it fixed my slow mouse problem!

0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Woo, hoo! Installing the new driver fixed my speed challenged mouse, too.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos
mmason3tsystems
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

GOOD LORD I WISH I HAD SEEN THIS SOONER!!!  Thank you for posting the WDDM driver location.  Worked for me LIKE A CHARM!  Just wish it didn't require a server reboot as it will affect our customers so we are gonna have to schedule this update.

0 Kudos
Jmtyra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Old thread, but wanted to say "Thank You" for the help. This worked wonderfully.

Just an FYI, same fix works with vSphere ESXi v5.

-JT

0 Kudos
SuperSpike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree, great fix. Does anyone know if there is an associated KB article for this?

@Virtual_EZ
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, there are a couple of KB articles covering this.

see e.g. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011709 and http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/kb/1016770

André

0 Kudos
qwerty1805
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same issue but I can see any drivers on my pc  called "wddm_video" in the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video.

I'm running ESXI5.1 above Worksation 9.

I checked also  in the VM but there is no vmware folder.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
qwerty1805
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I found it. Vmware tools wasn't installed by default as I taught it was.

I'm installing  vmware tools on each VM and let you know after if its solved or not Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
qwerty1805
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it works perfectly with vmware tools installed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos