VMware Cloud Community
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Set log information value

Hi,

i have edit my syslog.conf to apply a external syslog server. But i know, with esxi4 it was not possible to limit the logfile only for capture error, debug or what else informaion. It is only possible to log anything.

Is it possible to change the logfile informaion in ESXi4.1? In ESX it is possible to change the settings so it can define if i want to only log the debug or error information.

Thanks for any information.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

The straight forward answer is no, there are no supported configurations to ESXi's syslog to log specific events/etc.

Here is a blog post that I wrote that may help with this, but again it's most likely unsupported and if you plan on making any changes, be sure to talk to VMware support before doing so - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/06/increase-syslog-count-in-esxi-using.html

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

pchadwic
Contributor
Contributor

Per Lamw, there are no supported options, but I found the following (unsupported) way to change logging levels-

Logging levels for specific processes are stored in

hostd- /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml

vpxa- /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg

Edit the file, and change the log level from

to the level you want.

none (Disable logging)

error (errors only)

warning (errors and warnings)

information (normal logging)

verbose (verbose)

Restart the services with

services.sh restart hostd

Save the changes with /sbin/auto-backup.sh

These steps stopped my syslog server from choking on the "verbose" logging esxi was spitting out.

now if I could only change the levels remotly, I could add them to the build script.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The two files you mention are accessible with vifs for both get and put operations.- http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/esx_3i_rcli/vifs.php

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Thanks all for your hints.

I check the solutions you posted in my lab.

Frank

0 Kudos