VMware Cloud Community
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Server 2012 Downgrade licensing

Hi, I found out recently that i have been handling the licenses of windows server vm's wrong.  So im trying to get a better understanding of things

I think i have a better handle of things with the exception of how downgrading 2012 server to 2008 effects things.

To give an example, i have a project coming up for a client, its a small new vmware project

The plan is to have 2 physical server running vmware eseentials plus.

They will need 4 Windows 2012 server Vm's and 2 Windows 2008 32 bit Vm's

I want to be able to vmotion the servers if needed from one to the other, so i will need windows licenses on both servers.

So i figure i will need 3 Windows 2012 Standard Licenses per physical server so 6 total

One Windows 2012 Standard license gives you the ability to have 2 vm's.  When i downgrade one of the licenses to 2008 server, im assuming im allowed to have 2 2008 Vm's for that one license, is that correct?

Or does it go back to the old 2008 licensing where you where only allowed 1 2008 vm per standard license?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

MS licensing is not very easy, but the following guides should help:

Licensing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 for Use with Virtualization Technologies

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/D/B/4DB352D1-C610-466A-9AAF-EEF4F4CFFF27/WS2012_Licensing-P...

Q15 should answer your question about downgrade rights.

The ability to run downgrade bits does not change the licensing or support terms in which you can use the product; the purchased product (Windows Server 2012) rights apply. ...

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

MS licensing is not very easy, but the following guides should help:

Licensing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 for Use with Virtualization Technologies

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/D/B/4DB352D1-C610-466A-9AAF-EEF4F4CFFF27/WS2012_Licensing-P...

Q15 should answer your question about downgrade rights.

The ability to run downgrade bits does not change the licensing or support terms in which you can use the product; the purchased product (Windows Server 2012) rights apply. ...

André

0 Kudos
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok so from what i read it seems like im right about being able to downgrade 1 2012 license to 2008, and can run 2 2008 VM's off that license

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's how I understand the licensing - especially the answer to Q15 - too.

André

0 Kudos