VMware Cloud Community
smorfnimda
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2008 - Vcenter requires .NET 3.5, but IIS comes along...

Somebody has to do a better job with this VCenter 5.1.... I cannot get this thing installed at all.  Just a light dusting on the pre-requisites and all the problems I see people writing about have these dumb answers, like "did you make sure it was plugged in?" (exaggerating of course) It's just ridiculous.  There's obviously a problem here.

It asked that .NET 3.5 to be installed but low and behold, IIS has to come along with it! (server 2008)  Can't anyone just say installl 3.5 .NET and then uninstall IIS cause it will conflict with VCenter??

Anyways, I need to know do I have to set something up in Active Directory or a GPO to get this thing going?  I get errors installing the SSO (Single Sign On), Then I have errors installing the VCenter server... the localhost is a blank page.

I don't care about the install, there's some pre-reqs that need to be gone over in detail.... I am missing something..... instead of asking me what I am trying to do or why am I doing this, or what equipment I am using, how about TELLING me what to use and what to do?  This is crazy, we can all see that hundreds of people are getting the installation errors...  can anyone help please?  Thanks.  Sorry for being so crabby.... been working on this for weeks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
smorfnimda
Contributor
Contributor

.... what I mean is isn't there a better step by step deal?  Just now I see IIS is detected from the inventory service install.... now what in the???  How can I get a dedicated server for VCenter if IIs comes along with the 3.5 .NET Install???  C'mon guys... this is confiusing..... how do you put Vcenter on a dedicated server wihtout IIS??  crazy.... I will have a main server for DNS, another server with 3.5 .NET and IIS and another with VCenter...... and hey.... looky there can't install VCenter without .NET which also requires IIS again.... wow..... round and circles we go!

0 Kudos
smorfnimda
Contributor
Contributor

Well Alrighty then, I answered my own stuff.

Ok - You need Flash 11.1 or above installed!

You need a squeaky clean Server 2008 running AD/DNS 1 ea.

You need a second squeaky clean Server 2008 with NO Roles! 1ea.

You need to go to computer (with NO Roles), change settings and join the Domain with AD/DNS.

Install VCenter with Simple Install

Don't forget to change the ports so they do not conflict with IIS. I put 81 and 8081

Any other problems, well..... mine just worked after much pulling of hair because the warning boxes of VMware kept confusing me.

Like for instance why the heck would you say IIS should be on a separate server when the darn VCenter requires .NET 3.5 to be installed as a feature but that feature also requires IIS as a role to be installed???? How will I spearate the two?  Assume we are idiots otherwise your leaving a lot of out in the cold to do just like I did..... pull out my hair.

I used One 6 core Phenome with 8 gigs of ram.

Installed VMware Workstation and set up two server 2008's one with AD and one with NO Roles.

Bridged both NIC's

I set the VCenter with NO Roles to be at 2 cores and 4 gigs of RAM

The One with AD/DNS I just let be at 2 gigs single processor.

Sorry for being a smart aleck, but some people need to learn how to teach.  If you follow the exact thing I just did you will at least be able to sign into the WebClient and log into VCenter..... DONT forget to install the right version of flash!  Strange cause my server running 2012 will creash when flash is installed...... wonder what the interface will be written in for that?  (like they said though, they do not support Server 2012 at this time!)

0 Kudos