VMware Cloud Community
joshuajamie
Contributor
Contributor

Revodrive x2 and ESXi 4.1 driver

Hi,

I'm trying to get a revodrive x2 working in ESXi 4.1.0, 348481 so I can create a VMFS datastore on the device. I've tried VMDirectPath to a VM as a workaround and it fails to present any disks to the VM.

Its based on the Silicon image 3124 driver. I have downloaded a compiled module for this driver called sata_sil24.o. I have the device ID (3124) and Vendor ID (1095). I'd like to load this driver into the existing ESXi server.

The only current solution I have come to is deploy it using my VMA as a package, except I don't know how to get the .o file into a package I can deploy. I've also looked at editing the /etc/vmware/simple.map file on the ESXi host but I'm not sure where I would put the .o file to correspond to any entries in there?

If I can't get the above working I see my only alternatives are to deploy it directly into a physical host or consider HyperV 2008 R2 for this VM.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Is this a Linux driver?  ESX(i) has a Linux driver compatibility mode that allows Linux source to be used for drivers, but  the drivers still need to be compiled specifically for ESX(i).

0 Kudos
joshuajamie
Contributor
Contributor

I believe it is yes. I have a dev environment upon which I can certainly test it, if I knew how to get it on there!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Enable Tech Support Mode (SSH), use a client like WinSCP and copy the file here - /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/.  Then use vmkload_mod in a console (SSH) session to load the driver.  If it works you'll see the controller in the vSphere client.  If you have any issues you can look in /var/log/messages.

0 Kudos
sh4k3sph3r3
Contributor
Contributor

HI joshuajamie,

Are you able to load the drivers to ESX, i have try the files that you mention but no luck.

I'm interested to know as i also just bought this Revodrive and want to install it on ESX.

Kind Rgrds.

sh4k3sph3r3

0 Kudos