VMware Cloud Community
gomark0601
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Consumption Used Storage over the provisioned storage

Why Used storage is over the provisioned storage.How can I fix it.

ps.this VM doesn't have snapshots

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xntrlaGFERoBVyB3tVZkHMoXrWmoXxxR/view?usp=sharing 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
acpzehetal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can only guess what is the real issue in your system, because of the original definition and the information, you have given.

Per definition: Provisioned Space is the total size allocated to the VMs.

Per definition: Used is how much of that allocation space is actually being used by the VM

Unfortunately there are a lot of function underneath in datastore and storage itself that hide or optimize the used place from the system; e.g. pointer or deduplication on the storage base. In that cases the operating system is convinced that actually uses more space than it physically does. Especially if you use thin provisioning and overprovisioning (logically to the operating system) such Informations can happen.

But that is only a educated guess from you short post. If you can provide the storage logs from VMware ESXi according the datastore we can tell you more about.

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

did you check if your VM does use external storage not provided by the ESXi server?

I.e. mounting an NFS share or using iSCSI from within the Guest OS could be the reason for this behavior.

Simply because ESXi isn't aware that your VM might use such storage, but the VMware Tools will report how much storage is used within the Guest OS regardless if stored on a vmdk or somewhere else (outside to ESXi). 

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos