VMware Cloud Community
ian59
Contributor
Contributor

Recovery console RDS Server / ESXI

Hello

the vmware Infrastructure was update to 4.1 from 5.0 and since I have a big problem on my RDS servers farm

Infrasctructure:

Virtual servers in ESXI5.0 (full update) with40 VM which my 3 virtual machine on Windows 2008 R2 RDS (full update)

RDS1 roles: Brocker RDS RDS Session Host License Manager

RDS2 roles RDS Session Host

rds3 roles RDS Session Host applications: Office 2003 (Word, Excel, Outlook) trades applications

The problem is: Way of random whatever the RDS server, bugs appear. the Office applications no longer open the MMC no longer open, printers no longer work. I reboots the server and I get to the recovery console. In the end I have to restore the server This happens only on the RDS server. other servers on Windows 2008 R2 or others do not have this problem No log on VMWARE opening logs events no longer open, thus I do not see errors Help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
regnak2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you upgrade VMware Tools or the virtual hardware on these VMs at any stage yet? Got any backups of the VMs to test with prior to the vSphere upgrade? The only bug I came across was reported in vSphere 5.0 update 2:

Remote Desktop IP virtualization might not work on a Windows Server 2008 R2 running on vSphere 4.0 Update 1

IP virtualization, which allows you to allocate unique IP addresses to RDP sessions, might not work on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit vritual machine running on vSphere 4.0 Update 1. However, IP virtualization works when you configure Remote Desktop Services on a physical Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, or when you run a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine on XenServer 5.5 Update 2 Dell OEM Edition.

This issue might occur if you install VMware Tools after installing Remote Desktop services.

Might be worth looking into VMware Tools on these VMs? Any AntiVirus changes? Sounds like Windows Explorer is caving on.....AV should scan on writes only if possible on RDS servers.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
ian59
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Regnak for your answer.

Version is ESXi 5.0 last update by vmaware update manager (build 1024429)

VMTOOLS are update on all rds server and install by default

Officescan ATV is uninstalled on all rds server

I have install windows 2008 R2 server since template same problem,

fresh install same problem

Im deseperate !

0 Kudos
regnak2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

No idea, sorry. My next port of call would be to log a microsoft support call and examine the operating system build for issues or try the microsoft communities. If other VMs are ok then maybe its not vSphere related but there's something up with the RDS side of windows - some patch or bug causing this?

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
ian59
Contributor
Contributor

I have put the 3 RDS session servers on the same ESXI host and since 7 days, All is OK..... wait and see even if it's a workaround !

0 Kudos
ian59
Contributor
Contributor

all was OK since 11 days. Today i have add ram memory on the 3 esxi host and.... crash

0 Kudos