VMware Cloud Community
mightyvarun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Query related to multi site VMWare esxi 5 based setup.

Hi All,

We have multiple distributed sites based on vSphere 5 based setup which consist of ESXi host 5.1 , vCenter 5.1 and dedicated storage for each site....Now we are planning  add all distributed sites esx host to vCenter built one of our new site.

So what should be best approach to achieve this.

1) Is it advisable to add distributed site over wan to vCenter located on different geographical location ?

2) Can we also go with linked mode ? Since all our existing site already live do we need to re-install vCenter in order to have linked mode installed ?

Regards

Varun Khatri

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, provided that you have enough bandwidth between sites, you can add you remote cluster to vcenter.  I have done this before and I have not had issues.  Your approach depends on how your environment is configured.  If you have existing vCenter installed at each site, you can use linked mode, and you don't need to reinstall to configure linked-mode. vSphere Documentation Center

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP

View solution in original post

1 Reply
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, provided that you have enough bandwidth between sites, you can add you remote cluster to vcenter.  I have done this before and I have not had issues.  Your approach depends on how your environment is configured.  If you have existing vCenter installed at each site, you can use linked mode, and you don't need to reinstall to configure linked-mode. vSphere Documentation Center

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP