VMware Cloud Community
bsawyer85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Possible to deploy OVF template direct from local datastore?

Hey all,

I am trying to optimize the resource consumption and speed of deploying OVF templates in ESXi 4. Obviously, the quickest and most efficient way of doing so would be to have the OVF templates in one datastore, and directly deploy them to another (both stores on same host). This is what I'm attempting to accomplish.

Problem seems to be that when using the vSphere client to deploy OVF templates, even when pointing to the URL of the template on the same host system (via http access to datastore), the vSphere client still retrieves the files from the ESXi host, then transfers them back. Thus using twice the bandwidth on both the host and client system needed.

Does anyone know if it is possible to achieve deployment of an OVF template keeping all transfer internal to the ESXi host? If someone knows another more efficient method than what I am trying to achieve, I'm open to suggestions.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks!

- Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only way I see you could keep the traffic internal to the ESX host would be to have the vSphere client running in a VM on the host and configure your networking sp that all the traffic stays internal to the host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only way I see you could keep the traffic internal to the ESX host would be to have the vSphere client running in a VM on the host and configure your networking sp that all the traffic stays internal to the host

0 Kudos
bsawyer85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is what I suspected. Just wanted to confirm and see if I was just totally missing something.

Thanks Weinstein

0 Kudos